Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista And High Point Raid Controller

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 AM

Posted 30 March 2007 - 08:28 PM

:huh: Just ran the upgrade advisory wiz, and it states that my onboard High Point raid controller card (HPT3xx) is not compatible with windows vista. So I wrote the the manufacturer and they replied with:

Hello,

We no longer develop for the individual HPT3x controllers.
You can try using the RR100 drivers (this card uses a similar controller), but we cannot guarantee it will work with your hardware.

Regards,

HighPoint Technologies, Inc.

Im wondering if I should try it with their drivers for the RR100 (States vista Beta), or if I should wait till vista supports it... The only problem I forsee is that since they "No longer develop for the individual HPT3x controllers", is that I will never be able to upgrade unless I get a PCI raid controller card that is supported. This brings up the other problem, I dont have any more available PCI slots. Between a vent fan, Audigy 2, network card, and usb card i have no room!

Should I try a clean install on the drive I have XP on and leave the XP installation there, that way I could test the drivers and see if they work, or will vista mess up my xp install (as I have heard from some other forum posters).

Gavin Seabrook

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 31 March 2007 - 05:51 AM

I'd try the RR100 drivers - IMO it's likely that, since it's not being developed by HighPoint, that Vista will never officially support it.

Since your concern is with Vista, I'd suggest experimenting with a Vista installation (backing up everything essential beforehand)
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2007 - 12:24 PM

Well, I tried to do the update. NO PROBLEM WHAT SO EVER with the raid drivers. My only problem was i got a blue screen referencing an ATI driver. So what I am going to do now, is try another update, but uninstall my ATI drivers before hand. This way, if it get into vista, I can get the vista drivers for my Radeon X1950. Thanks btw usasma.

Gavin Seabrook

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 31 March 2007 - 01:37 PM

Generally Microsoft recommends trying the XP drivers because they're similar to the Vista one's - it's just the installer that screws them up. So running the installer in compatibility mode and as an administrator will fix most of the problems.

FWIW - even the major manufacturer's haven't caught up with Vista drivers. The last I checked there weren't any Vista Intel chipset drivers for my MSI 975x mobo.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2007 - 11:41 PM

Well, got some good news. Uninstalling the ATI drivers got me past that error. But I got another blue screen referencing STPD.sys, which is entied to Daemon Tools. So used my XP disc to enter into the recovery console and deleted that file, now vista is up and running. Still need to give some performance tweaks for my gaming, but im loving it so far :D

Gavin Seabrook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users