Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Thinking Of Buying A New Monitor?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 PM

Posted 30 March 2007 - 08:24 PM

I recently bought a new HP Pavilion and had a choice of monitors so chose a 19" widescreen LCD thinking it would be the best but now regret my choice. Don't get me wrong, the monitor an Acer AL1916W is a fine piece of equipment, but unless you intend to watch movies all the time why do want a widescreen which either distorts your pictures to fill the screen or hides a chunk out of view and you are forever scrolling.

I have a 17" (diagonal) LCD monitor on another machine and the viewable area is 13 3/8"w x 10 3/4"h. The 19" widescreen is 16 1/8"w x 10 1/8"h so you lose a significant amount of height with a supposedly larger monitor.

I have a large widescreen LCD TV set up as my #1 monitor and am very pleased with that, but for general desktop computer work I would always choose a normal type monitor from now on.

Some points for you to ponder if you are in the market for a new monitor.

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 30 March 2007 - 11:52 PM

Hi rowal5555. I have the very same model of monitor and I can't say I have had any of the problems you reported. Make sure your resolution is at least 1440x900 which is the default resolution for this model.

I found the extra width but not height a little unusual, but I quickly learned to love it! I find the extra width very useful when using more than one Window side-by-side.

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 30 March 2007 - 11:53 PM.

#3 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 31 March 2007 - 03:42 AM

I have a 19" widescreen, at home, and the distortion is almost nonexistant. I mean, you can see it, if you're looking for it and look hard enough. Check out your settings like Andrew suggested...
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users