Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bsod When Trying To Install Xp Pro

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 gadailey

gadailey

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 30 March 2007 - 07:35 PM

I just purchased a dell e520 pc. It came with windows vista, and I don't want it..for many reasons.
Anyway, put my Windows XP Pro disc in, booted the computer and started the install. It started the loading process, then when it started to load windows, I got a blue screen and it had this error: 0xfy8da63c

Anybody know the fix? Is there any other info I need to provide?

Thanks! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 PM

Posted 30 March 2007 - 07:40 PM

Hello,

Did you do a clean install? if you tried to install XP over vista that is already present, it will be in microsofts eyes a downgrade and would not allow it. you need to wipe the HDD completely delete the partitions and start again.

hope this helps
Regards,

Alan.

#3 gadailey

gadailey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2007 - 07:45 PM

I didn't uninstall Vista, I just booted the computer off the xp disk. Should I fdisk first? Can you help? I'm getting no help from the dell people.
thanks

#4 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2007 - 08:01 PM

If you are sure that you don't want Vista and would prefer XP, then a clean install is the way forward. if you follow the steps to install XP from the CD, it asks you where to install it on which partition, I would delete the partitions and format the drive then install XP on it. If the hard drive is clean then there should be no reason for the system to crash.
Regards,

Alan.

#5 gadailey

gadailey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2007 - 08:07 PM

Oh..yes, I know how to do it that way. The problem is that I get that blue screen before I even get to that step.
Yes I am SURE I don't want vista. If I ever change my mind, the computer came with an install disc for it anyway.

I just use a LOT of programs for my business that simply don't work with Vista.

Is there another way to clear the HD so that I can install xp?

#6 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2007 - 08:31 PM

In that case, you need a bootdisk that will erase the partition,

you can try removing the OS by using this tool http://www.pro-networks.org/vistabootpro/
if that doesn't work, and you have a spare HDD, you can remove the one with vista and format it from the other HDD
Regards,

Alan.

#7 gadailey

gadailey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2007 - 08:51 PM

The plot only thickens.
The hdd that is in there now is an SATA.
I DO have other hdd's but the connections on the SATA are different and I just opened up the pc to see if I could replace the hdd that is in there now, but there are no cables in the computer that I can hook up any of my existing hdd's to.

aaarrrggghhhh.

I didn't realize it was an SATA(n) hdd when I bought it.

So I'll try the boot disk from the site you suggested. If that doesnt work then I boot off my vista install disk I would imagine.

you are much help...hang around, I think I'm still gonna need you. :thumbsup:

#8 gadailey

gadailey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2007 - 10:50 PM

I wasn't able to remove vista using the vistaboot pro software.

Is it possible that I can just format my hdd and then boot from the xp cd and run the install that way? If so, how?

I've never installed xp any other way than by just booting off the cd and deleting the existing partition. Now that I get that stupid error message and blue screen at install, I don't know what to do. I know I can't tolerate vista.
any more advice?

#9 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 AM

Posted 31 March 2007 - 01:46 AM

Is your XP CD bad? Try it in another machine.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#10 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2007 - 07:35 AM

Sorry I had to go, it was 04:00 here http://www.windowsreinstall.com/winvista/uninstall/index.htm try this link, The only other way of getting rid of vista would be to purchase an external caddy for a SATA drive, then using another computer reformat it a few times. I don't see how it could survive that, leaving you with a clean HDD to start a fresh install on.
Regards,

Alan.

#11 gadailey

gadailey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2007 - 10:26 AM

Budapest: I'm not sure, the CD might be bad. I wondered about that myself. But I can't try it on another machine, because the only other machine I have is this one I am on right now, and of course, I can't format it or I'd lose all my backup info. Is there another way to test if it is bad?

Niggles: That's ok about you leaving last night...Thanks for hanging in there with me!
One of the reps at Dell referred me to that site, but it only gives directions for a dual boot. Mine isn't dual boot.

I'm feeling very regretful that I bought this PC from Dell.

#12 gadailey

gadailey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2007 - 11:25 AM

I give up. I gave in and ordered a new copy of xp pro. The copy I had has always worked, but in retrospect, I can't be sure that the source I got it from was legitimate. Maybe that is the problem. If not, then I'll get another hdd and replace the one in the new pc. At least if Vista remains on the hdd, it will still be under warranty with dell. I can always just put it back in if I need to send the pc back for anything.

I hate Vista. Pretty on the outside, evil on the inside.

Thanks for all of you guys/girls help!!

#13 iej68

iej68

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 PM

Posted 04 April 2007 - 03:41 PM

I just got a e520 with vista installed and tried to install xp and got the bsod. The computer tries to boot with a raid controller bios. Go into the setup screen in the bios and change the sata raid setting to nonraid/ata and xp will install.

#14 gadailey

gadailey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2007 - 09:16 PM

You know, that is exactly how I wound up solving the problem. THANKS!!. After 8 phone calls with Dell, and 2 with Microsoft, I finally got someone at Dell who knew what he was talking about. I'm soooo happy...Vista is GONE!!!
:thumbsup: :flowers: :trumpet:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users