Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is The New Zonealarm Update Safe?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 bloomcounty

bloomcounty

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 30 March 2007 - 06:56 PM

I currently have ZoneAlarm 7.0.302 and it's telling me there's an update to 7.0.337 -- but I'm wondering if this update is safe or if it has problems. I tried looking at the ZoneAlarm board, and it looks like some people are having issues, but it's really hard to tell what and why, etc.

Any experts here know if people should maybe hold off on this update, what the problems are (if any), and what exactly is getting updating that was wrong with 7.0.302?

Thanks for the help!
My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 30 March 2007 - 08:52 PM

Since you have already done 7.x, YES, do update. The latest contains a bunch of fixes.
Yes, on the ZL forums there are still reports of troubles. That is normal. Every software site hears from people who have problems. In my opinion, most of the reported issues are due to flawed installations over existing Nortons, McAfees and other such, inviting trouble.
You did not say which of several ZA products you use.

Fixes, versions, release history
http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/free/info...aseHistory.html

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,195 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 30 March 2007 - 09:22 PM

Here is a list of some changes from the link that tos226 provided and I just wanted to tell you that I have installed it successfully without any hitch or surprises. You will notice some cosmetic changes like new logo.

New and improved ZoneAlarm version 7.0.337.000

* Removed Google Desktop installation warning
* Some rare reports of crashing have been isolated and addressed
* Formatting and translation improvements on non-English products
* Various other fixes
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 trickydick

trickydick

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2007 - 09:40 PM

I have been running it for almost a month now and no problems to report.

Edited by trickydick, 30 March 2007 - 09:41 PM.

#5 tekchallenged

tekchallenged

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 01 April 2007 - 02:41 AM

In my opinion, most of the reported issues are due to flawed installations over existing Nortons, McAfees and other such, inviting trouble.

I did a clean uninstall and install of the new version, and don't have any other products on this machine, so the following would apparently not be due to any flawed installation. Startup now takes an eternity. It downloads updates every 5 seconds (it seems - apparently it's every hour) during which everything else slows to a crawl, and there doesn't seem to be any option to change this. It suddenly tells you cookies are not enabled when they are. Virus scan takes twice as long and slows everything else down. (But I went from version 6.5 whatever so I don't know whether you already have this on your version.)

Edited by tekchallenged, 01 April 2007 - 02:42 AM.

Feel free to assume that I won't know what you are talking about...

#6 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2007 - 10:22 AM

You did not say which of several ZA products you use.

I'm only using ZoneAlarm Free -- version 7.0.302.

* Removed Google Desktop installation warning
* Some rare reports of crashing have been isolated and addressed
* Formatting and translation improvements on non-English products
* Various other fixes

Thanks for separating that all out! Let me know if I'm wrong here, but it sounds like there are no security updates with this update, just stuff that doesn't seem to be anything I've been having an issue with up until now...?

I have been running it for almost a month now and no problems to report.

Both you and buddy215 say you have no issues (tos226 as well?). So does that mean none of you are experiencing the issues tekchallenged lists below?

Startup now takes an eternity. It downloads updates every 5 seconds (it seems - apparently it's every hour) during which everything else slows to a crawl, and there doesn't seem to be any option to change this. It suddenly tells you cookies are not enabled when they are. Virus scan takes twice as long and slows everything else down. (But I went from version 6.5 whatever so I don't know whether you already have this on your version.)

When you say virus-scan, do you mean the ZA virus-scan? (I don't have that -- I use AVG.)

These are issues I'd definitely want to avoid. But if I'm going from 7.0.302 Free version to this update, will this issues not apply to me?

Also, I still have the .exe for 7.0.302, so would it be possible to try to install the new update, and if I get issues, uninstall it and reinstall 7.0.302? (Or would any issues linger?)

Thanks for the posts, everyone!
My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

#7 tekchallenged

tekchallenged

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 01 April 2007 - 11:19 AM

When you say virus-scan, do you mean the ZA virus-scan?

It is the one that comes with the ZA Security Suite. (If you don't have it, then the slowness of it won't affect you.)

Also, I still have the .exe for 7.0.302, so would it be possible to try to install the new update, and if I get issues, uninstall it and reinstall 7.0.302? (Or would any issues linger?)

As I understand it, you can install and uninstall without drama - but make sure you do a clean uninstall before you re-install. There are instructions on the ZA User Forum for how to remove everything. (But you might want to hear that from somebody more computer savvy than me before acting on it :thumbsup: )
Feel free to assume that I won't know what you are talking about...

#8 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2007 - 01:11 PM

Thanks for the post! Yeah, I'll wait to for the experts that have posted on the thread so far to see what they say about that and if they've seen or experienced those issues (or think I will in any way, even with just using the free version -- that is, those symptoms minus the AV issue).

:thumbsup:

(I'm hesitant to update if there are no updates to the security... just because I look at it in the same way as a Windows Update for an issue that you're not having, then you read that it can cause problems, so then you don't bother to do it since you're not having the issue, you know? But maybe that's the wrong way to do it...)

Edited by bloomcounty, 01 April 2007 - 01:16 PM.

#9 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2007 - 02:32 PM

I still haven't jumped into version 7. My ZA free is the last 6.5 version. Nice, lean, sufficient. My ZA suite is still 6.1 so I can only offer version 7 advice based on what I've read.

I don't think any of the issues apply to the free version since there are no updates going on other than the application itself.
If you decide to go for the 337 version, do run clean install, just in case
clean uninstall of v7
http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/board/m...essage.id=63996
One disadvantage of clean install is that you will lose your settings. But in the free version there really aren't that many to worry about.

If you had stayed at version 6.1 or 6.5 you would be using a smaller, leaner, ZA-free. With version 7, according to the forums, they now install but disable some the the ZA security suite components, such as spam checker (Mailfronteer). They take up space, aren't used, and annoy the users.

For those who follow instructions and understand conflicts with other AV products, version 7 of ZA Pro, ZA antivirus or ZA suite the installation and performance work just fine.

Edited by tos226, 01 April 2007 - 02:35 PM.

#10 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2007 - 02:43 PM

And this is the 'unwanted components' story
http://www.castlecops.com/t182589-ZoneAlar...ilFrontier.html

In case you bump into some AV conflicts, see this
http://forums.zonealarm.com/zonelabs/board...essage.id=66708

I recall when I was installing ZA free I needed to disable Avast AV first, install ZA, reenable Avast. Worked flawlessly.

Edited by tos226, 01 April 2007 - 02:54 PM.

#11 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2007 - 03:13 PM

I still haven't jumped into version 7. My ZA free is the last 6.5 version. Nice, lean, sufficient.

I preferred the older one (which I had on my old computer), but when I got my laptop, the version of ZA free I have not was the one available, so that's what I installed.

Is there a good/safe place to download ZA free 6.5 (with whatever the latest security updates were for that)?

Would it be worth uninstalling my version and going with that older version?

Just to note: I do show ZA in my add/remove programs -- so that dropping out of there must be with the newest update (if I'm reading about that correctly). I will not be doing the newest update.

Also, ZA free and AVG free are the only two things I use in that regard (along with Spybot and Ad-Aware).

Thanks! :thumbsup:

#12 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2007 - 04:12 PM

ZA free and AVG sound like a good combination. Spybot & Ad-Aware are good to, but you probably should not run the TeaTimer component at the same time. Just do the Immunize thing.

Please, DO NOT EVER use Add/Remove WHEN AN OFFICIAL UNINSTALLER is available.
That's how people mess up - they try to add/remove, TrueVector service won't stop, so removal gets dirty and then you have to follow 30 steps of instructions.

Older versions of all ZA things are available here and security updates do not apply to the free version (no AntiVirus, No AntiSpy):
http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/free/info...aseHistory.html

And lots of good help with some links I'm repeating
CLEAN uninstallation of ZA
http://www.nohold.net/noHoldCust25/Prod_1/...an_install.html
clean uninstallation of version 7
http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/board/m...essage.id=63996

More on the Mailfronteer and Outlook issues in case you got hit - description and fixes
http://forums.zonealarm.com/zonelabs/board...essage.id=46506

#13 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,195 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2007 - 04:48 PM

Ah heck, thought I would throw this bit of info into the soup pot, too.

QUOTE: http://www.greenwood.iwarp.com/sgcomputer.html
If you are having trouble updating or installing the Zone Alarm firewall, with error messages such as "Validation failed for..." any number of dlls, or that it can't shut down the True Vector Monitor, etc., here is the solution. First, if you were already using Zone Alarm, uninstall it. Second, there's a mess of files and folders you must delete. ZoneLabs gives lengthy instructions on how to do that, but to make it easy, I wrote a simple command file. Download and unzip the CMD file zfix.zip, then run it. It'll clean all traces of any old installation from your system, and you can now run a fresh installation with no problem.
To clarify why this happens, the explanation is simple. Uninstalling Zone Alarm in the normal fashion does not remove all the files and folders. When a new version of ZA is applied, XP prevents old files from being replaced by new files because of certificate verification mismatches. Thus, ALL old files have to be manually removed. This doesn't affect the computer or registry in any way. When the new ZA is installed, registry entries for the old installation are still valid as they simply point to newer versions of the exact same files in the exact same pathways.
WARNING: Zfix is an easily edited command file. If you downloaded it anywhere but here, you may want to verify it by right-clicking it, selecting the "Edit" option,
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#14 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2007 - 05:32 PM

Heck, I think I'll just keep my 7.0.302 version and not worry about uninstalling and going back to a version of 6.5 or updating the the newest update... :trumpet:

tos226 -- No worries! I see that there is a "remove program" option in the ZA folder. :flowers:

So, would you say there are any good reasons for me to go through the trouble of uninstalling my current ZA and installing 6.5?

And if so, which version of 6.5 on that linked page do you recommend?

Oh, I've never used that Tea Timer thing in Spybot... :inlove:

Thanks! :thumbsup:

#15 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2007 - 07:36 PM

Last version 6 is 6.5.737. Good one.
Should you change? If it ain't broken don't fix. If the firewall version is not causing you problems, leave things alone. Moving onto the latest 7 rather than the version you're using might make sense as well. Going back can always be rough, though I've done it from 6 to 5 to 6 to 5...with no problems at all. Your call :thumbsup:

Most problems aren't with the ZA's superb firewall, it's with the ever-growing bloat in the non-free versions to match the competitors and most others are user-caused errors such as faulty uninstalls/installs.
With ZA-free, if you have a small RAM or slow computer I would definitely go back from 7 to 6, or even 5.5.094.

I've seen, on the ZA forums, the text of the nice post buddy215 quoted. What it does is make a batch file for the long-procedure of cleaning up which is normally used when people mess up by not uninstalling properly. Having a batch file is very helpful, saves tons of time in searching for things. I don't recall whether that file goes after the several registry settings that also need cleanup.

Uninstalling ZA using the procedure recomended by ZA, DOES UNINSTALL everything that should uninstall. And the /clean switch has been around since v5.5.

Just a sanity note for non-ZA readers: ALL security programs such as Norton or McAfee are not simple to uninstall because these are very complex applications which hook into the operating system. Willy-nilly add/remove prcedures that people try while the services are running, and TCP/IP stack is in use is what causes all the problems. Just my opinion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users