Posted 30 March 2007 - 05:51 PM
My friend wanted me to ask this so here goes.
Last night, the power in our town went out, as it has been for several days. My friend had left his computer on, as he usually does. When he noticed it was off, he tried to turn it back on. Now, he can't seem to get past the Windows XP logo and loading screen. The order of screens he sees is:
1. System info screen, w/ option of going into BIOS
2. a screeen w/ 5 options on it
- Boot Windows regularly
- Boot Windows with last working settings
- Boot Windows from command
- Boot Windows from safe mode
- a fifth option which he did not remember at the time of telling me
This screen also said something about how Windows has failed to boot, and some possible errors, such as installing a new program (he says no on this) and a power outage (we think this is the one!).
3. after picking an option, it goes to the Windows XP logo and loading screen for awhile and then reboots
He has tried all the options on the second screen and the same things keep happening. This endless cycle keeps happening. He asked me to ask on these forums for any help. Can we change something in the BIOS? Or is he going to have to reformat and reinstall Windows XP? Any help would be greatly appreciated!