Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Won't Pass Windows Xp Screen

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 wemibelec90

wemibelec90

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 30 March 2007 - 05:51 PM

My friend wanted me to ask this so here goes.

Last night, the power in our town went out, as it has been for several days. My friend had left his computer on, as he usually does. When he noticed it was off, he tried to turn it back on. Now, he can't seem to get past the Windows XP logo and loading screen. The order of screens he sees is:

1. System info screen, w/ option of going into BIOS
2. a screeen w/ 5 options on it
- Boot Windows regularly
- Boot Windows with last working settings
- Boot Windows from command
- Boot Windows from safe mode
- a fifth option which he did not remember at the time of telling me
This screen also said something about how Windows has failed to boot, and some possible errors, such as installing a new program (he says no on this) and a power outage (we think this is the one!).
3. after picking an option, it goes to the Windows XP logo and loading screen for awhile and then reboots

He has tried all the options on the second screen and the same things keep happening. This endless cycle keeps happening. He asked me to ask on these forums for any help. Can we change something in the BIOS? Or is he going to have to reformat and reinstall Windows XP? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wemibelec90

wemibelec90
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2007 - 05:54 PM

Sorry for the double post but I forgot to ask something.

He does not have a Windows XP CD-Key at the time. Is there a way to buy just a key?

Alternatively, can he use my Windows XP disc and then use a Windows Vista upgrade over it before verifying Windows XP? This would allow him to have a working computer until he can figure out what is wrong. Thanks!

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 31 March 2007 - 01:34 AM

Yes, he can use your XP disk provided it is the same version (i.e. Home or Pro). And yes, you can purchase a key on-line from Microsoft.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/addlic.mspx

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/default.mspx
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#4 wemibelec90

wemibelec90
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2007 - 12:42 PM

Anyone have any clue why it did this? Is there a cheaper way to fix this?

Also, do you need the Windows XP key to install Windows or just to verify it afterwards? Thanks again!

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 AM

Posted 31 March 2007 - 01:23 PM

Yes, there is a cheaper way here: http://www.linux.org/

If you want Windows, you've gotta pay for it. You'll need the key to install it - then it'll check it when you go to update it. If you never go to update it, then you'll get infected and will lose everything anyway.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 31 March 2007 - 05:25 PM

This is a long shot, but worth a try.
Have your friend try to boot up in SAFE MODE. IF it works and he can get to his desktop, open My Computer.
Right click on Drive C, Properties/Tools tab. Click on error checking, check both options in the box that comes up, then Start.
You will then get a message that tells you the error checking will run after your next reboot. Reboot the computer and hope the process starts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users