Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lime Wire?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Mazurite

Mazurite

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 30 March 2007 - 05:05 PM

Just here to see what people think about LimeWire,, if is much of a risk to be having on your computer for downloading music. It has most obviously been detected as some sort of spyware on my computer and decided to start a topic to see what other people use and perhaps get some ideas on what to replace LimeWire with.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 30 March 2007 - 10:48 PM

What program is detecting it as spyware?
What version of Limewire are you using?
The latest version is spyware free.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 idk

idk

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 AM

Posted 30 March 2007 - 10:56 PM

I don't think music files like .mp3, .wma etc. can spread viruses and stuff. I've never had a problem downloading music off it.

#4 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 30 March 2007 - 11:09 PM

Limewire is not the greatest with spyware but its about the best P2P you can find for music.

D/L'd a couple of viruses with it through music files (*.mp3 and *.ogg) some people name a virus something after a song and then change the name of the file to include .mp3 or .ogg or another file type.

Limewire is recognized as spyware because it leaves a file on your computer for you to share with the community that is acessable at any time you are connected

There is no safe P2P connection.

Posted Image

#5 Mazurite

Mazurite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 31 March 2007 - 12:39 AM

A-Squared Free had detected it.. But this seems to all make sense,, to be honest here i have had an experience with RAT's (Remote Administration Tools) in other words, trojan.backdoors and you are actually able to merge a 200 - 300kb backdoor trojan into any file type and the file will run completely normally, perhaps lag a bit but will also run the trojan and give me acess to their computer anytime they are on the internet after they run it just once.

Though LimeWire seems to be the best P2P or at least largest P2P network out there,, I usually download LimeWire Pro from LimeWire haha, works great,, though that crack may have been the reason for me to have to reformat my computer.. So i will stick with the free version.. Thanks guys!

#6 Matthew Alan

Matthew Alan

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 31 March 2007 - 12:59 AM

Well i cant stress this enough DO NOT GET LIMEIWIRE. This is what happen to me like 6 months ago:

This is the truth about limewire. Well everything was working well. But at 2:13 am on every morning limewire would start by its self. I first noticed it about 4 days ago. I just thought O well probably just this and that. But once it loaded my internet speed would drop from 2.7 mb (2700 k) to 100k, and sometimes lower. So I started looking at it, and everytime it would start, it would transmit to ns44.limenet.org. I went to limenet.org and was infected with, 5 trojans and 2 viruses. I then kept exiting Limewire, because I still wanted to use it, so Limewire started opening alot of them, here is a screen shot of what happen. After this, I looked in my My Documents (I have alot of passwords there) and they where gone! So all in all, I strongly believe Limewire sent then info to limenet.org so people can get my information. I just uninstalled limwire and my computer is working so much better.

That was the orignal post on my forum.

Edited by Matthew Alan, 31 March 2007 - 01:01 AM.

#7 hillbillygreek

hillbillygreek

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 31 March 2007 - 03:41 PM

If you actually downloaded Limewire from limenet.org, you got a bogus copy of Limewire & that would explain your problems. They usually come bundled with malware. Or you could have simply downloaded/opened an infected file which would also cause the symptoms that you are referring to. The only place you should download Limewire is from here:

Limewire.

Edited by hillbillygreek, 31 March 2007 - 03:52 PM.

#8 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 31 March 2007 - 04:10 PM

List of P2P applications

In general it is advised that any file obtained via other means than downloading from original site is to be scanned by on board virus applications. Take a look in the HJT forum and see what can happen if you are not protecting yourself.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users