Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Explorer 7.0 Or Mozilla Firefox

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Logix69

Logix69

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 30 March 2007 - 02:30 PM

i am currently running IE 6.0 but i did have IE7.0 & Firefox i would like to know the pros and cons of each and which one people prefer

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 30 March 2007 - 04:10 PM

Never used IE7.
Have 6 installed.
I don't like anything about IE.
I use Firefox.
It's a more secure browser than Internet Explorer, because it doesn't use ActiveX controls, but Java applets instead.
Also, if a security flaw is discovered (which doesn't happen often), it's usually fixed within a few days, as opposed to the months you have to wait for an Internet Explorer security patch

In most instances, you will find Firefox to be a faster browser than IE, especially if you employ pipelining.
Firefox Web Browser - Pipelining
The reason it's faster is because Firefox doesn't come pre-loaded with a bunch of features you don't need.
You can run Firefox as lean, or as bloated as you want with the use of extensions, which allow you to customize it the way you want it, not the way someone else thinks it should be.
Enhancing Firefox with Browser Extensions
Extensions

NOTE:
When adding extensions I'd advise adding one at a time, try it for a couple of days, and if no problems arise, add another.
Sometimes extensions have been known to cause problems, due to incompatibility's, or corrupt downloads.
If you install them one at a time, and test it, it's easier to troubleshoot if one starts causing problems.

I've been using Firefox for several years (since it was known as Firebird), and wouldn't go back to IE for any reason.
I think once you get used to using it, you'll feel the same way.
Give it a try, you have nothing to lose.
If you don't like it, just uninstall it, that easy.

You can find other alternative browsers here, under the Web Browsers heading:
Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps
Try as many as you want, and see which you like best, as they're all free.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2007 - 04:55 PM

I agree with tg1911.

Firefox is incredibly customizable and there is a plugin for pretty much everything. IE7 requires third party tools to customize it. you can make Firefox suit your needs and wants. IE7 also opens more ports that FF.
Regards,

Alan.

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 PM

Posted 30 March 2007 - 07:36 PM

IE7 was an attempt, after five years of not improving IE6, to "catch up" to more modern browsers, especially the highly competitive Firefox, which is inherently safer and in many cases actually faster than IE6 or IE7. Another point not already mentioned, is that the folks at Mozilla who develop Firefox are in the habit of:
1. Patching serious security problems within 3-5 days (not weeks or months as with MS).
2. Releasing new (or updated) versions of Ff several times a year.

Couple these points with a wide range of useful---or just plain fun---extensions available to expand Ff's usefulness for YOU, and you have a winner.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 Logix69

Logix69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2007 - 02:17 AM

I will amit that fire fox runs much smother than firefox but do you still need internet explorer as at the mo moment i am doing just a basic website in dreamweaver MX and i was wondering if the preview in browser will work in fire fox??

PS I'LL Never go back to IE

Thanks for your feedback

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2007 - 03:02 AM

You can't uninstall IE, because it would damage Windows, since it's intertwined into the Operating System.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

#7 Logix69

Logix69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2007 - 03:21 AM

Thanks for your help its much appreciatedjava script:emoticon(':thumbsup:', 'smid_19')
:thumbsup:

#8 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2007 - 10:48 PM

You're welcome, Logix69.
Glad to be of help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users