Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Computer Is Lagging Bad

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 FisticufsFred22

FisticufsFred22

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 PM

Posted 30 March 2007 - 02:20 PM

Hey everyone, thanks for the help ahead of time.

The other day I finally got to cleaning my room and I moved my computer. When I went to boot it back up, the first thing I noticed was the Windows login sound was very laggy. I went on to try and play some music with WMP11 and all the music was laggy along with windows itself. I checked the task manager under the processes tab and it was really weird - it's telling me that a bunch of random programs are taking up memory...and it changes maybe every couple seconds. I took some screen shots to show:

Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image

These were all within a couple minutes and kept changing randomly.

Here are the steps I've taken:
1. Defraged all of my HDD's
2. Preformed anti-virus scan with Symantec AntiVirus Corporate, BitDefender, Windows Live scanner, (ran in safe mode)
3. Preformed anti-spyware check with SUPERAntiSpyware, Ad-aware SE, Panda (ran in safe mode)
4. Deleted data from main HDD to make space (getting desperate)
5. Tried shutting down some processes
6. Disabled DNS Client to stop one of the svchost.exe processes (it read that it was taking alot of memory/cpu usage)
7. Tried simply rebooting computer
8. Tried uninstalling add-ons and themes to Firefox
9. Used specialized anti-virus scaners (used most that people have listed in previous posts)

I'm almost thinking that I need to reinstall XP, but the problem is I don't have the disc....

I'm pretty much out of options, I don't know what else to do or to think.....
Is it my HDD? My processor? My motherboard? My PSU?

Help. Please.

P.S. Should I do one of those "HijackThis" threads?

In case this helps:

Windows XP Professional SP2
AMD Athlon 64 +3000 (the case is open, cooling shouldn't be an issue.)
1gb Corsair Memory
320GB seagate perp. recording HDD
80GB WD HDD
10GB Quantom Fireball HDD
500W power supply unit
Linksys 10/100 workgroup switch

Firefox 2.xx.xx
WMP 11 (final version)
Zone Alarm Pro
Symantec Anti-Virus Corporate Edition

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 30 March 2007 - 02:27 PM

Some of the advice in this link may be of use.

Slow Computer?

I think dfrgntfs.exe is to do with the Windows defrag utility. Were you defragging at the time?

TimeLeft.exe seems to be taking up a lot of resources - I'd get rid of that.

vsmon.exe can be bad. Check this link.

Edited by Budapest, 30 March 2007 - 02:35 PM.

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 FisticufsFred22

FisticufsFred22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2007 - 02:35 PM

I think dfrgntfs.exe is to do with the Windows defrag utility. Were you defragging at the time?

Yeah, I was. That does probably account for the high CPU usage at that time, but it's still doing the same thing if I were to open a folder - explorer would skyrocket to like 50-100%. When I try to maximize WMP it'll go up to from 5-75%. Same with firefox. Even too when I just maximize the Task Manager it reads around 33%. Now keep in mind that these numbers are for maybe 2 or 3 seconds, but it's just enough to really get on my nerves (especially going from a very fast running computer to it hiccuping ever 3 seconds. :thumbsup: )

TimeLeft.exe seems to be taking a lot of resources. I'd get rid of that.

I did that too, these screenshots are from when it first started happening.

vsmon.exe can be bad.

Yeah, I read that - it's a part of ZoneAlarm Firewall. It hasn't shown up in any of the virus or spyware scans that i've done (and god i've gone through so many). Either way, the process can't be stopped from the task manager, I get this popup:

Posted Image

Edited by FisticufsFred22, 30 March 2007 - 02:48 PM.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 31 March 2007 - 01:15 AM

Check through all the services that are running on your computer and disable any that are not required. There is good advice at the following link.

Windows XP Home and Professional Service Pack 2 Service Configurations
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 PM

Posted 31 March 2007 - 09:10 AM

You mentioned that you were desperate for space on the hard drive. How full is it? It's recommended that you have at least 15% free space in order for Windows to function correctly. If you don't have it, Windows will stress other systems to try and make up for it.

You mentioned that you shutdown some processes. Which one's?

Try shutting down all running applications, closing everything in the Notification Area (System Tray) and then ending all processes that you can end in Task Manager (leave the svchost.exe one's alone - some will cause your computer to reboot if you close them). Does the problem still exist with the remaining processes? If not, then one of the things that you closed is likely to be causing it.

So, reboot and start closing things "one at a time" until you find the one that's causing it. Then try leaving all the others running and closing only that one - if that still fixes it then you've found the culprit!

Then, uninstall that program.

As for reinstalling XP. If you've got a legit copy, you can probably order a copy from the manufacturer of the system. If it's not legit, then you're looking at having to purchase a legit copy.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 frankenfish

frankenfish

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2007 - 10:25 AM

if i were you i would get rid of bitdefender. its not very good. i've never had very good luck with symantec products either. you could have a virus that your stuff isn't picking up. for antispyware i would go with adaware se. for an antivirus i would go with clamwin.

//Mod edit to remove email address to preclude spamming.

Edited by KoanYorel, 31 March 2007 - 10:30 AM.

#7 FisticufsFred22

FisticufsFred22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2007 - 12:37 PM

You mentioned that you were desperate for space on the hard drive. How full is it? It's recommended that you have at least 15% free space in order for Windows to function correctly. If you don't have it, Windows will stress other systems to try and make up for it.

As for reinstalling XP. If you've got a legit copy, you can probably order a copy from the manufacturer of the system. If it's not legit, then you're looking at having to purchase a legit copy.

1. I'm good for hard drive space, i've got a 320gb HDD that's only 39% full, a 80gb HDD that's 50% full and a 10GB HDD that's only 43% full.

2. My copy is legit, but I didn't pay for it, I got it through my college. Problem is I don't know if they offer them anymore. Also - I built my computer myself so I'm the manufacturer of the system.

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2007 - 01:21 PM

So, ask yourself for a free copy and then give it to yourself :thumbsup: (just kidding). The manufacturer thing was in case this was either a commercially manufacturered computer - or it was part of a package that came with a hardware purchase.

As long as you've got a valid product key you'll just need a copy of XP that corresponds to what you originally installed (OEM vs Retail, and the correct Service Pack level also). You should be able to check with the college and see if they've got some laying around that you could try and make a copy of.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 FisticufsFred22

FisticufsFred22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2007 - 03:16 PM

So, reinstalling XP is the way to go?

...ugh.

#10 jitaa

jitaa

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2007 - 04:22 PM

Before you attempt a Reinstall please go to this link and watch the Video. It will show you about 14 processes that are running on Boot that you can safely shut down.

http://www.pcnineoneone.com/training_video...eed_video1.html

Next go to Black Viper and look at eh link Windows XP Super Tweaks. He also will show you a few more loading apps that can be stopped with no ill affects

http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/supertweaks.htm

Doing these two and stopping the programs that you have running if not used will help more then one thinks.
I would also get Windows Advanced Care 2. it tell you what processes you have running in the back ground and guides you through each one so you can discontinue it from starting. I notice that you have about 7 proceses running that are not needed and can be loaded via Start ---All Programs

http://www.iobit.com/

Thank you and post back if you need further assistance.

Jitaa :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users