Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Freezes With New Graphics Card

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 heffay111

heffay111

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 PM

Posted 30 March 2007 - 01:26 PM

I am relatively competent with computers, and I just built my own system for the first time. Everything was going fine, until I decided I wanted better graphics.

I have an ECS P4M900T-M mobo with a Core 2 Duo 6400 in it, running XP Pro. Everything works fine until I install a graphics card. Tried an nVidia based card first and now an ATI based card (X1050), and both cause the computer to freeze at some random, inconvenient moment.

I have disabled the on-board graphics. (I think, at least it no longer shows up in the device manager.) I went into my BIOS and selected PCI Express 16 for my primary graphics, but didn't see much to else adjust. I don't know what else to do. Are there settings for me to adjust to rescue this situation, or with my cheap mobo am I stuck with the lousy graphics from the on-board video?

Thanks for your time.

Edit: I have updated everything that I know of, from the ATI driver to Direct X.

Edit: also, it's not an overheating situation. Left it on overnight, no problem. In the morning, after a few minutes of normal use, crashed while using Firefox.

Edited by heffay111, 30 March 2007 - 01:39 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 blueandgold04

blueandgold04

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 30 March 2007 - 02:33 PM

What kind of power supply do you have? It could be that the gfx card is pulling too much juice away from your system.

And Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :thumbsup:
"Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal." -Albert Camus
"Chance favors the prepared mind." -Louis Pasteur
"If a man does his best, what else is there?" -George S. Patton

#3 heffay111

heffay111
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2007 - 03:54 PM

I've got a 380 watt power supply which I'm pretty sure is adequate.

Playing around in my BIOS, I changed "Allocate IRQ to PCI VGA" from Yes to No. I'd read online to not change this, but when you've got a problem, you try things.

So far, no freeze after an hour or so. Does changing that setting mean something to you?

And thanks for the welcome! After years of casual nerdiness, I'm actually quite happy to have joined the world of those who build their own computers.

#4 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2007 - 08:27 PM

If you continue to have freezing problems, consider the minimum requirements for graphics cards:

ATI is normally 350 watts, and Nvidia is normally 400. In my opinion, you should have at least 450 watts if you are using ATI with your system, and at least 500 if you use Nvidia with your system.

Also, try setting the bios to optimal with the video card installed.

Edited by oldf@rt, 31 March 2007 - 07:22 PM.

The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#5 heffay111

heffay111
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2007 - 02:29 PM

Okay. One thing I've learned as I've gotten near 40 is to trust the words of the experienced.

I ordered a highly rated 550w PSU from NewEgg. I'll be posting here on Tuesday after it arrives.

I'll add that I'm not a gamer and bought a very inexpensive graphics card, but perhaps it pulls a lot of current anyway. I just like to keep my resolution at 1280 x 1024 and the on-board graphics card looks terrible at that size. The ATI X1050 looks beautiful. I hope I can get it to work.

QUESTION: Since I blew the sequence when installing this card, basically disabling the on-board, installing the new card & drivers, and then removing the on-board's drivers, I have this question:

Is there a benefit to starting over and doing things in the right sequence?

#6 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 31 March 2007 - 03:24 PM

Not sure. I still have my integrated graphics enabled/installed even though I use my graphics card. I never get problems because of this and anyways, when i do uninstall my integrated drivers windows automatically installs them again.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#7 Venek

Venek

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 PM

Posted 31 March 2007 - 05:01 PM

Did you remember to disable anti-virus? I ran into a similar problem and after reading NVIDIA's web site a little more carefully, they said to turn off anti-virus before uninstalling/installing video drivers.
UberGeeks of the world...UNITE!

Uh guys? Wanna take your eyes off that screen for a second? Raise the mice? Battle cry?

#8 heffay111

heffay111
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2007 - 07:36 PM

Haven't heard that one before. The answer is no, of course.

#9 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2007 - 02:34 PM

Have you received the new psu?, if you have let us know the results.

OF

#10 heffay111

heffay111
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2007 - 12:26 PM

The power supply arrived the day I left town for a week, but I returned, installed it and...

That did the trick! At least everything has been fine for the last 10 minutes, but in those 10 minutes I played a graphics heavy game that I installed for my nephews that always froze the computer within 5 seconds. I'm going to conclude from that that all is well.

Thanks to all! I sincerely appreciate the power supply suggestion.

Now I realize that I returned an nVidia graphics card for no reason at all. Should have hit this board first. Pretty pathetic that I put hours into software solutions when it was a hardware one. I'm especially disappointed because I did a fair amount of research into what PSU was needed for my DIY, and all the recommendations undershot it.

Of course, now I've got the sound of a hair dryer under my desk, but it beats having a computer that doesn't freeze up.

#11 blueandgold04

blueandgold04

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 11 April 2007 - 12:42 PM

You are welcome heffay111. Glad that the problem was solved. :thumbsup:

Salud,
bg04
"Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal." -Albert Camus
"Chance favors the prepared mind." -Louis Pasteur
"If a man does his best, what else is there?" -George S. Patton

#12 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2007 - 02:16 PM

Great to hear that the problem was solved.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users