Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Problems-help!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 lovexlustxrepeat

lovexlustxrepeat

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 PM

Posted 30 March 2007 - 12:36 PM

hi!
i posted this in windxp and i noticed i may be in the wrong section.

okay my problem is that i have internet for long periods of time, and randomly it stops working. But my dads computer still has internet

windows xp pro.

I have cable modem (comcastic), and a D-Link DI-514 connecting me to my computer through netgearbridge ( i think thats what its called, it gives me my internet through the electrical outlets from the modem) my dads computer, which is where all the internet is coming from doesn't lose internet when i do.

i rebooted modems, ect ect. and on my computer it says that limited or no connectivity, sometimes i get a message that my modem didn't assign an ip adress. last time i was trying to fix it i tried to set up a static ip adress because i didn't know what else to do! but for whatever reason after playing around withit an hour i got internet. but i don't want to play around i want to know how to fix it once and for all! and no i didnt end up setting up static ip.

this time i lost my internet i was on my computer and lost power thanks to the storm, and it restarted right away, but without internet, if that is any help. that was last thursday i believe snce then i didn't have anything!!!

i was also curious when i open up local area connection status, it has the picture of 2 comupters recieving and sending. on my computer the recieved one has a little lock, does it mean anything?

also could it be my dads norton antivirus blocking anything to my computer?

extra details,
intel[r] pro/100 vm network connection

this connection uses following items
client for microsoft networks
file and printer sharing for microsoft networks
Qos packet scheduler
internet protocol [tcp/ip]

enabled IEEE 802 1x autho
smart card or other certificate

when answering please state which computer to do what.

my biggest question is why is it that it randomly turns off, this isnt the first time its like the 3rd or 4th, but i never permanetly fixed it.

i hope thats enough!

thank YOU, for any help!!!

also i was told to try rebooting winsock, if i should, should i do this on my dads computer or mine?

Edited by lovexlustxrepeat, 30 March 2007 - 12:38 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Nebon

Nebon

• Members
  • 164 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 AM

Posted 30 March 2007 - 02:33 PM

First, what firewall does he have and what exceptions are set up?

Second, try keeping it on that assigned (Static ip), many users have encountered this problem of 'loosing' their internet. Try keeping it on a static IP and tell me if it cuts out anymore, then we will delve deeper. :thumbsup:

#3 lovexlustxrepeat

lovexlustxrepeat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2007 - 03:24 PM

i did a static ip adress, it works for his computer but not mine!!

there is no firefall. for either me or my dad

#4 twardnw

twardnw

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 PM

Posted 30 March 2007 - 04:33 PM

does his computer connect via the power-line network as well?

I have seen nothing but bad reviews about such devices.

#5 lovexlustxrepeat

lovexlustxrepeat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2007 - 10:21 PM

well we have the comcast modem, which the internet cable goes from that to the router (d-link) which is then redistributed to my dads comp, and mine through ethernet bridge by netgear i believe through my electrical outlets. and i checked the plugs and everything and it should work.

#6 twardnw

twardnw

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 PM

Posted 30 March 2007 - 10:45 PM

try just using a ethernet cable to connect your computer to the router for a while. As I said, I have heard nothing but negative reviews of any of the ethernet-over-powerline devices.

#7 lovexlustxrepeat

lovexlustxrepeat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2007 - 09:40 PM

even though there are bad reviews its much better than my wireless, which was always a 50/50 chance it was working. the bridge always has internets unless this sort of episode happens, errr, it drives me nuts!!

gar, im gonna try to reboot the modem and replug everything,

if there is any more help i can get please tell me!!!

thankyou!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users