Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error Currupt Or Missing C_437.nls File

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Charminguy

Charminguy

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 30 March 2007 - 10:35 AM

Last night my girlfriendīs pc had a problem while booting. She had her computer on sleep mode and carried her notebook in her bag. When she opened her screen the computer was already on with a black screen and error message "missing or corrupt c_437.nls". She managed to load windows and upon shutting down the computer froze. She left it for 20 minutes and again it tried to reboot and the same original error message appeared. She took out the battery and tried to restart. No luck.

I rebooted with an original oem windows xp cd and arrived at the recovery console. At the recover console I tried to expand the c_437.nl_ file by using the following command:

c:\>expand e:\i386\c_437.nl_ c:\windows\system32\c_437.nls

to which I received a reply "access is denied"

Hard drive is partitioned into c and d. Iīm able to go into d and backup working files but Iīm not able to view any files on c. Itīs showing as O bytes.

The CD rom is the e drive.

I want to:
1. Restore windows and access files on c drive
2. Repair the corrupt file on c drive and regain full access to windows

Please help!

Edited by Charminguy, 30 March 2007 - 10:38 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 30 March 2007 - 10:54 AM

I would try using the system file checker.

Description of Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 System File Checker (Sfc.exe)
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 AM

Posted 30 March 2007 - 11:49 AM

try this :

copy (your cd drive)\I386\C_437.NLS c:\windows\system32

you entered the wrong parameter at the end

Edited by fozzie, 30 March 2007 - 11:50 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users