Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linux In Usb

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 yethPC

yethPC

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 30 March 2007 - 05:14 AM

where can i download linux that can install in usb flash drive?i want it to dual boot with xp in my computer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 PM

Posted 30 March 2007 - 05:17 AM

Puppy Linux can run off a flash drive.

Link
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 JCCK

JCCK

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2007 - 08:27 AM

Linux Pen Drive Here is a site that has a tutorial for putting linux onto a Jump Drive, and it works, I currently have Ubuntu on mine and it works fine. Only can be done from Windows or Lunux, sorry if you are using a Mac

Edited by JCCK, 30 March 2007 - 08:28 AM.

#4 kbk

kbk

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 AM

Posted 31 March 2007 - 04:51 PM

Damn small linux can be run from a USB drive as well, http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/
www.thisisbeyondbelief.com

#5 yethPC

yethPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2007 - 08:51 AM

I have downloaded dsl-3.2-embedded.zip.How should I install it?Is there any other utility I need or any tools to do this?Do I need to format usb flash drive?any help?thanks

#6 kbk

kbk

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 AM

Posted 01 April 2007 - 11:15 AM

Here, this should help point you in the right direction: http://damnsmalllinux.org/wiki/index.php/I...USB_Flash_Drive
www.thisisbeyondbelief.com

#7 yethPC

yethPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2007 - 03:33 AM

Is it possible to install Linux in a harddrive when there's windows os residing already?Will this also matter?Because I dont want to remove XP just to give the whole space for Linux.I want to place linux on the other partition but have xp remain in its own.

EDIT: Does anyone know how to install PClinuxOs?When I tried to click on makeboot.exe it was asking for dll file missing.Does it have something to do with .net framework?

EDIT: DSL is my final choice now.But then I find it hard to install as the computer to which I want it to install does have bios setting that does not support booting from USB.How can I proceed then?help...!tnx.

#8 Uraiser

Uraiser

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2007 - 11:04 AM

You've looked in your BIOS to see that it does not have booting from a USB drive? Or did it not work when you tried it? I'm confused.

#9 yethPC

yethPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2007 - 01:14 PM

It does not have booting from the usb.

#10 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 02 April 2007 - 01:20 PM

@yethPC

Yes it is possible to install Linux with Windows. It is called dual booting, and there are quite a few threads on it, plus a ton of info around the 'net.

If your Bio does not allow to boot from USB, then it won't be able to boot from the USB.

What file is it missing?

It would also be nice if you edited your posts instead of creating multiple posts. Thanks.

#11 yethPC

yethPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2007 - 02:44 PM

Thanks for the ideas.
Im sorry.The previous post was not intended to be sent .It was a mistake.
If my computer will not boot from usb,how can I be able to install DSL that is already in the usb ?Should I have to make bootable disk for linux like the one for windows?

#12 Uraiser

Uraiser

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2007 - 04:44 PM

There are several distros out there that can boot from a CD, knoppix, PCLinuxOS, and a few others off the top of my head. Just look for LiveCD in the name somewhere. It runs off of the CD, and uses RAM to store things temporarily. This is an alternate method to the usb drive and works just as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users