Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linux Version

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 yethPC

yethPC

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 30 March 2007 - 12:37 AM

Im planning to replace windows 2000 on my harddrive's partition with small linux version.Is there anyone who know where I can find it.im just a linux starter.tnx

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 twardnw

twardnw

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 30 March 2007 - 01:58 AM

How small is small? and how much of a learning curve are you willing to deal with? Gentoo isn't the smallest, but it should occupy no more space than your Win2k install did, it has a graphical installer, and behaves fairly similarly to a windows installer.

www.gentoo.org

#3 yethPC

yethPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2007 - 02:10 AM

ill try it.thanks.

#4 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 30 March 2007 - 11:44 PM

kubuntu is a small version that allows you to first try it on LiveCD then if you like it install to your hard drive.

Posted Image

#5 kbk

kbk

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 31 March 2007 - 04:50 PM

Look around on distrowatch.com at the different live cd versions, and give a few a try. I wouldn't reccomend Ubunut or any of the Ubuntu family because (in my opinion) it limits your ability to have full administrative control of the OS.
www.thisisbeyondbelief.com

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 AM

Posted 02 April 2007 - 03:43 AM

Try Puppy Linux. It will run from a RAM Drive if you have 256mb or more. From boot to on cable or DSL in as little as 8 minutes.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#7 yethPC

yethPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2007 - 05:35 AM

How can I install Puppy Linux permanently into my harddrive?It seems that LIVECD has alwas have to be inserted just to use LINUX.And why was it saying at the bottom of the screen that I only have 6.3RAM?And why was it not visible in the OS choices only winxp and win2000 i could see?Is it because it wont reside perfectly in 128 RAm drive?
Lastly, I want to learn linux command, which of the applications that comes in puppy should I open?Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users