Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Data Execution Protection Window Ends Boot-up Sequence

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rickragsdale

rickragsdale

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 29 March 2007 - 10:26 PM

When I try to start my Sony Vaio laptop, I get the XP (home) start up display, then the Welcome display with the music, and then a pop-up window that says: "Data Execution Protection - Microsoft Windows. To help protect your computer, Windows has closed this program.. Name: Windows Explorer, Publisher: Microsoft Corporation. Data Execution Protection helps protect against damage from viruses and other security threats." That is followed by a link that says: "What should I do?" Unfortunately, I can't follow the link because once this window displays the machine locks up. Given a minute or two, a blue screen full of white text pops up, but is visible only for a second or two, and then the machine reverts to the XP start up display, and loops continuously.

I am able to start in Safe Mode, and am able to get the machine to run "normally" using a System Restore Point from two days ago. It takes about 30 minutes for the machine to perform the restore, but once done I am able to use it normally - Internet connection and all.

I have done a deep scan with Software Doctor and Zone Alarm security suite antivirus and they found no problems. I've also tried setting new System Restore Points and booting from them via System Restore, but I get the cursed "Data Execution Protection" window when I do. Only the Restore Point from two days ago lets me start up.

I have Windows XP Home on my desktop. If my boot problem is corrupt Windows Explorer files, can I copy them from my desktop and overwrite them onto the laptop? If so, which file(s)?

Thanks for whatever help you may be. I'm at my wits' end!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 AM

Posted 29 March 2007 - 10:43 PM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer Rick.
Next time you boot up go to the Event Viewer. It is located in the Administrative Tools in the Control Panel. Please post the last few errors that have occurred.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 29 March 2007 - 10:54 PM

General description
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875351
List of error meanings
http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsServe...3.mspx?mfr=true
I had those when RAM failed. But only event log can tell what the problem is. This will require expert help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users