Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To Back Up A Hard Drive.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JCCK

JCCK

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 29 March 2007 - 09:26 PM

Hello, and thanks in advance to who ever is reading this.

My Brother has a Gateway MX6453 Notebook and he called Gateway and they said that he has to send it to them and they also said that they might do a recovery on his system which the guy said that it might clear his HD. He has some music that he wants to be saved and so I was wondering if there is any possible way that I could take the stuff off of his non-working notebook and somehow back it up. Just some info on his system, it has a 160 GB PATA HD, and it has Win XP Media. I checked around at the local computer repair shops and they said that it is $100 or so and my brother does not really want to pay that much and he wants me to do it for him if possible. Tell me if he would be better off having the pros do it or if it is going to be cheap enough and easy enough to do the back up my self. I would consider myself to be pretty good when it comes to computers so just tell me what to do and I will decide.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 PM

Posted 29 March 2007 - 09:33 PM

That notebook HD could be removed,

installed in another PC,

and the data copied off of the drive.

I can't walk you through that, but it certainly can be done.

Is that what the folks at the repair shops were suggesting?

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 29 March 2007 - 10:58 PM

You can use the [url=http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/]Ultimate Boot Compact Disk[/url[ to burn your files to CD. It boot into a RAM drive and has the basic rescue tools. I used it to recover most of my files after the part of the drive that had windows on it became damaged. You could also use it to move file from one partition to another or another hard drive. It has provisions for USB support if you have an external hard drive.
Very handy utility.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 JCCK

JCCK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 30 March 2007 - 08:23 AM

Thanks every body but my brother had his external hard drive here so I took it apart and put the hard drive in and now we are good. But thank you for your time and thoughts.

#5 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 PM

Posted 30 March 2007 - 08:32 AM

Thanks every body but my brother had his external hard drive here so I took it apart and put the hard drive in and now we are good. But thank you for your time and thoughts.

Gee,

wish I'd thought of that.

:thumbsup:

Anyway, glad to hear you got it.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users