Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Smart Failure

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tripflex

tripflex

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 29 March 2007 - 08:52 PM

Alright so i've got a laptop that when i turned it on went straight to tell me there was a SMART drive failure, windows starts to boot up and then says that \windows\system\config or something is corrupt. I tried to run windows xp cd to reinstall and it just hangs and does nothing. Does anybody have any ideas or suggestions?

ALSO

I just got windows xp cd to boot up and it wont even let me try to repair the drive it says it has to format it. Basically i just have some pictures on there that i want to get off....anybody have any ideas about how i could do that?

Thanks!

Edited by tripflex, 29 March 2007 - 09:08 PM.

There's no place like 0.0.0.0, i'm tired of being at 127.0.0.1

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 29 March 2007 - 09:10 PM

Hello,

It looks like your registry has damaged itself. you might be able to fix it. http://support.microsoft.com/?id=307545 will show you how to repair the damage.

Hope this helps
Regards,

Alan.

#3 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2007 - 09:28 PM

That SMART drive failure error means that your hard drive has failed.

The other symptoms you are describing certainly relate to a failed, or failing, HD.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#4 tripflex

tripflex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2007 - 09:16 AM

I cant even get into the repair part on the windows CD. Yikes! Is there any kind of like usb hookup that you can plug a laptop hard drive into?

Thanks!
There's no place like 0.0.0.0, i'm tired of being at 127.0.0.1

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 AM

Posted 30 March 2007 - 10:00 AM

It sounds like your hdd has failed, this usually means that it no longer spins up. There is one last gasp technique you can try, take you hdd and double zip lock bag it and place it in your freezer for about fifteen to twenty minutes and reinstall it. This contracts the material of the discs and may allow you a little time to retrieve some information. This won't normally last very long, so you need to know what you want to go after and have everything mentally lined up in the order you will go after it and what you will transfer it to, like DVD or CD.

Hopefully you have been diligent in you practice of backing up your important files to an alternate media.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2007 - 09:01 AM

The more that you access the drive, the more likely it is to fail completely.

You can try this free tool: http://www.pcinspector.de or this one: http://www.undelete-plus.com/help/4_instalation.html

If you try the freezer trick, make sure:
1) that you get as much air out of the bag as possible.
2) try it on the driest day possible
3) do it quickly because you'll probably only have one chance at it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users