Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dvd Player (divx Capable) Help

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 shr00ms

shr00ms

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 29 March 2007 - 08:47 PM

I need help.

I just bought a DVD Player which can play DivX files. I tested it on the store with an AVI burnt disc and it worked well. When I got home tried other AVIs that I have burnt before, some of it just stopped playing like it was put on pause after a few seconds. I tried the same disc on my PC and I was able to watch movie smoothly. Anyone with the same experience? I can't say that it's the player for it was able to play some of my discs. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 29 March 2007 - 08:51 PM

Hello,

Did you use different software to burn thee older ones to disk?
are the CDs damaged at all?
Regards,

Alan.

#3 shr00ms

shr00ms
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2007 - 11:52 PM

I didn't I used Nero 7 and the discs are ok. Does the brand of the DVDs affecting my copies?

#4 Detox

Detox

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2007 - 12:35 AM

Maybe you don't have the right Codecs?

Download DivX, Xvid and Windows Media Player Classic.

#5 shr00ms

shr00ms
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2007 - 12:56 AM

I'm using K-Lite Mega Codec Pack on my PC. All the files can played on my PC but on my player, plays for a few seconds then stops playing just like on pause

#6 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 PM

Posted 30 March 2007 - 02:54 AM

which program did you use to burn the cd's..

#7 shr00ms

shr00ms
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2007 - 03:15 AM

I used Nero 7 to burn the files. The files are already in AVI so I don't have to convert it

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 AM

Posted 30 March 2007 - 03:24 AM

I think the problem may be that not all .avi files are the same. Different .avi files may be compressed using different codecs. I think only .avi files compressed with DIVX will play on your dvd player.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#9 shr00ms

shr00ms
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2007 - 09:18 AM

I will have to consider that and try converting all my videos to DivX. I will still be looking to other possibilities like changing my burning program and all. Let's see and I'll share what happened

Thanks for all the help

#10 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 30 March 2007 - 09:54 AM

You might want to try this program, its not free, but it could be the answer http://www.dvdsanta.com/
Regards,

Alan.

#11 fozzie

fozzie

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2007 - 09:56 AM

which dvd player do yu have?

#12 shr00ms

shr00ms
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2007 - 08:45 PM

My dvd player is Pioneer but i'm still trying to figure out what DivX version it has. I used AVICodec to know what Video Codec is used for the videos that I tried to play on my DVD player and I found out some of it using Xvid Mpeg 4 and some are DivX v4. Some Xvids can be played but some just can't. It's really inconsistent and I can find a pattern. Does it have to do with Nero 7 which I used to burn the videos? Or the discs maybe?

Edited by shr00ms, 01 April 2007 - 08:50 PM.

#13 fozzie

fozzie

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2007 - 03:13 AM

Yes,Nero uses a codec which is on board your pc which suits "him "best. The most important factor is how was the avi made using which technique. The pattern you could find is trying to do the following :

1) Do you allways use the same cd/dv's for burning?

Please do the following :
1) Post the type of your DVD player here
2) Follow this link GSpot Downloads this will tell you what and how the avi was burned and which codecs are required to play the cd, you might discover a pattern there.

#14 shr00ms

shr00ms
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2007 - 07:36 PM

What I have is the DV-393. GSpot is good, thanks for the link. It's like AVICodec only one file at a time. But still good though. Really explains the file and its codecs. It showed the same result with AVICodec which was Xvid Mpeg4 was used

#15 TheYoda

TheYoda

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 PM

Posted 03 April 2007 - 11:56 AM

Chances are if you burned them at different times or what not, theres different versions of the same codec. Someone who encoded might of been using an older version of Divx. Your best bet is to recode the files with the latest version of Divx, or at least the same version that works. You can probably get a copy of Divx Pro or whatever it is and transcode all the files.

"A coward dies a thousand times before his death. The valiant never taste of death but once." -William Shakespeare

Fold for your future...Help us find a cure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users