Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Zonealarm Update 7.0 Killed My Internet!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Venek

Venek

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 29 March 2007 - 08:21 PM

So I got this notice to download an important update for ZoneAlarm Free. I do so, reboot as instructed, and lo and behold, the internet connection on my computer is dead! I know for a fact the internet itself and modem is fine because I'm using my g/f's laptop which is connected wirelessly to my wireless router.

I uninstalled ZoneAlarm in the hopes that I would restore the connection. Not only did I not get the connection back, but now it seems like all the start-up programs and items in the system tray didn't start!

I am now seriously peeved at ZoneAlarm and intend to switch over to Sygate probably.

In the meantime, what can I do to restore the Internet connection on my computer? I even tried directly connecting the modem to the computer and that didn't work. I have 2 ports and I disabled the one I was using and enabled the other one, that didn't do squat. I'm debating on pulling out my motherboard CD and reinstalling the ethernet drivers, but afraid of what that might do. Could that solve the problem or is there another/better solution?

Am I the only one with this problem? Something tells me ZoneLab's stock is gonna fall tomorrow.

*EDIT* By the way, I attempted to use the Repair tool for the internet connection and I just get a failure notice saying that it couldn't renew my IP address. Perhaps that clue can be helpful I hope.

Thanks
Venek

Edited by Venek, 29 March 2007 - 08:26 PM.

UberGeeks of the world...UNITE!

Uh guys? Wanna take your eyes off that screen for a second? Raise the mice? Battle cry?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 AM

Posted 29 March 2007 - 08:35 PM

If it says that it can't renew your IP address, it means it cannot connect to your DHCP. the firewall is probably blocking traffic, also go to start then run type services.msc scroll down the list and make sure DHCP service is started.

Hope this helps
Regards,

Alan.

#3 Venek

Venek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2007 - 09:09 PM

Thanks, I'll have to try that tomorrow.

By the way, I went to ZoneLab's forums, seems I'm not the only one with this problem. Apparently some kind of massive bug, looks like they dropped the ball here.

Also, how can the firewall be blocking traffic if I uninstalled it?

Edited by Venek, 29 March 2007 - 09:10 PM.

Uh guys? Wanna take your eyes off that screen for a second? Raise the mice? Battle cry?

#4 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2007 - 09:20 PM

There is the slight chance that the update left something in your network adapter that is blocking things.

If you go to the control panel and select network connections, right click on the connection that is being used select properties scroll down the list until you find the internet protocol tcp/ip select it and click properties.
make sure that they are both set to obtain automatically.

If that doesn't work go to start then run and type cmd when it comes up, type
ipconfig /release press enter
ipconfig /renew press enter
ipconfig /flushdns press enter

also if you can download advanced windows care, it might be able to fix your network settings. http://iobit.com/AdvancedWindowsCarePersonal/index.html

hope this helps
Regards,

Alan.

#5 Venek

Venek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2007 - 09:21 PM

I couldn't wait. I did what you suggested, I ran services.msc and restarted DHCP and DNS (just in case).

Didn't work. I think ZoneAlarm's pissing off a lot of people right now.

#6 Venek

Venek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2007 - 09:28 PM

Okay, I checked the TCP/IP properties and they are obtain automatically.

Did the ipconfig dance and received an error when trying to renew. Something about the service provider not being available.

I may have to either sit tight and wait for ZoneAlarm or Microsoft to issue a fix. I'll probably end up reinstalling the ethernet drivers...that HAS to work, right?

#7 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2007 - 09:37 PM

reinstalling the network should solve the problem, I don't see how it can't. before you try that, this might help http://windowsxp.mvps.org/winsock.htm
Regards,

Alan.

#8 Venek

Venek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2007 - 09:30 AM

Thanks for the help, but I ended up reinstalling XP, believe it or not. I am SO effin' angry at ZoneAlarm. I uninstalled the ethernet drivers so I could reinstall them, but oops, the monitor wouldn't pick up the signal after rebooting for some reason.

Then, feeling like an idiot, I remembered I have Acronis True Home and I had a back-up file on my 2nd HD created just last weekend. So I try to run that, but the program kept giving me an error saying that Hard Disks aren't recognized or something to that effect. Okay, I said, I'll just use the bootable version. I do that, and it seems like it's taking forever to restore the image. So, I tried cancelling it, and it didn't do squat. What do I do? The 'ol ctrl-alt-del. Acronis completely erased my HD, like I wanted it to, so I try the bootable Acronis again, and decide to leave it alone while I went to bed for the night.

I get up, turn on the monitor expecting it to be done...it's not. No progress whatsoever. It DID tell me that it would be done in 172 days. Yeah, I'll wait.

*Sigh* This is the third time I've reinstalled XP due to a bad program. The first two times were due to nTune software (didn't figure it out until after the 2nd time), and now ZoneAlarm. I'm never, EVER, getting ZoneAlarm again. What a colossal headache. Seems like I have rotten luck with programs. Now I have to wait from either Acronis or newegg to resupply me with the serial number so I can install the program and restore the image. Like an idiot, I left that important piece of e-mail in my Thunderbird and never printed it out. Fortunately, all my e-mail should be intact from last weekend in that image file. If the image file is no good, I'm hosed.

I HATE THIS.

Edited by Venek, 31 March 2007 - 09:34 AM.

#9 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2007 - 04:05 PM

Did you have DNS servers in the Trusted zone in ZA?
Did you have your local network in the trusted zone?
Did you have your loopback address in the trusted zone?
If not, the purpose of firewall is to block, so it did.

When you got rid of ZA, did you run a clean uninstall?
Did you give the TrueVector service a chance to stop properly?
If not, it's still running, or was, before your new trouble restoring from backup.

A drive that is not recognized is a Windows problem, not ZA, nor ATI.
If the computer gets shut off, and all data isn't written to the drive because you might have cacheing on, it may not be recognized again.

If you validated the image, and if the validation was OK, and if the drive can be recognized somehow, you should be able to restore using the Acronis rescue disc using the image.

#10 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2007 - 04:09 PM

To repair the connection,
1. turn of the computer
2. turn off the router
3. turn off the modem
Wait a minute or so
4. turn on the modem, wait till it's stable
5. turn on the router, also give it time
6. turn on the computer - it should recognize the connection if everything is setup correctly in Windows.

If still no luck, run the command window
type ipconfig /all
report back what it says
Someone might be able to advise you further.

#11 Venek

Venek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2007 - 05:30 PM

Doesn't matter, like an idiot, I uninstalled the ethernet drivers so I could just reinstall the network and be done with it, only my computer didn't boot up the graphics, so I was left in the dark. I ran an XP repair installation and pretty much gave up on it and did a HD erase/format/reinstall.

Actually, I think it turned out for the better as I discovered Comodo to be a much better firewall, IMHO. But thanks for the help and advice. It'll be handy if it happens again...IF.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users