Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avoiding Limewire Dangers?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 nyyanks

nyyanks

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 PM

Posted 29 March 2007 - 08:09 PM

When downloading off of Limewire, are viruses or spyware contracted directly after the download or after the actual file is opened?

Edited by nyyanks, 29 March 2007 - 08:10 PM.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
Albert Einstein
US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

I support this theory and all others from Einstein (even his theory on a static universe)
Not really!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 29 March 2007 - 08:19 PM

in most cases, the malware is created separately and then joined with the desired item, once you open it, it is unleashed. however if you have a good AV or antimalware, it will scan the file as it is being assembled and can catch it before it is even fully downloaded.

the virus shouldn't be active until the file in question is opened. if you want added security, you can upload files here http://virusscan.jotti.org/ to be scanned by several utilities.

Hope this helps
Regards,

Alan.

#3 nyyanks

nyyanks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2007 - 06:17 PM

so if i have NOD32 i should be ok?
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
Albert Einstein

I support this theory and all others from Einstein (even his theory on a static universe)
Not really!

#4 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2007 - 06:45 PM

I would say so, NOD32 is certainly capable of finding malware, if it is configured correctly. It can scan the file as it is being compiled, which will in most cases stop the process. and its AMON scanner will scan the file as you open it if it detects anything it will tell you what it is and give you options.
Regards,

Alan.

#5 nyyanks

nyyanks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2007 - 07:20 PM

will the default configuration automatically scan my downloads? or do I have to change the configuration?
Albert Einstein

Not really!

#6 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2007 - 07:41 PM

For most stuff on the gnutella network (limewire, morpheus, shareaza, etc), if you enter in a search and you get results exactly matching your search terms, it's a virus. If you're searching for a program or a wmv, and you get results that are 100-200kb large, they're viruses. There are a lot of trojan bots on these networks, so you have to be wary of what you're downloading, especially for binary files (exe zip, etc).

Edited by arcman, 30 March 2007 - 07:42 PM.

Posted Image

#7 nyyanks

nyyanks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2007 - 07:48 PM

how about music? would the same thing pertain (if i typed in "American Idiot" and got exactly that then it is a virus)?! wow that I never heard before
Albert Einstein

Not really!

#8 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2007 - 07:53 PM

If you open NOD32 select the AMON tab, then click setup, make sure everything is checked. that should boost security. Malware writers will write a virus or Trojan as a .exe file. then they will join it to a .mp3 .wmv etc the file will be opened it opens the exe with it and infects the system.
Regards,

Alan.

#9 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2007 - 08:00 PM

90% of the time an MP3 file will be fine.
I've heard rumor of infected MP3 files but never seen one in the wild myself.
Windows Media formats seem to be more prone to trojans.

Still, regardless of the file type, you should know the relative size of the file you're looking for. A full length 128kb mp3 for example is going to be at least a couple of megs, so if you're getting results that are only a few hundred kilobytes you know it's bogus

(if i typed in "American Idiot" and got exactly that then it is a virus)?!

Basically there are bots on gnutella that will take your search query and turn your terms into a bogus virus file. For your search for american idiot, a common bogus search result could look like "american idiot FULL VERSION.WMA" or "american idiot Unreleased Full.zip"

Edited by arcman, 30 March 2007 - 08:05 PM.

Posted Image

#10 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2007 - 08:04 PM

Still, regardless of the file type, you should know the relative size of the file you're looking for. A full length 128kb mp3 for example is going to be at least a couple of megs, so if you're getting results that are only a few hundred kilobytes you know it's bogus.

Sound advice,
Regards,

Alan.

#11 nyyanks

nyyanks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2007 - 08:47 PM

So as long as it is the typical size (a few mgs) and the title is not deceiving and as long as I do not open it after I download it and I scan it manually for extra security, I should be safe?
Albert Einstein

Not really!

#12 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2007 - 09:11 PM

yes, thats correct.
Regards,

Alan.

#13 nyyanks

nyyanks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2007 - 09:29 PM

thank you very much I have just one more thought: which p2p program is the fastest? which affects computer speed the least? would Limewire be the your recommendation?
Albert Einstein

Not really!

#14 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2007 - 09:56 PM

I don't have any, but most people I know use utorrent and azureus they are supposed to be very fast indeed
Regards,

Alan.

#15 hillbillygreek

hillbillygreek

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 31 March 2007 - 12:10 AM

will the default configuration automatically scan my downloads? or do I have to change the configuration?

For maximun settings for NOD32 follow the instuctions here:

Link: Extra Settings for NOD32

So as long as it is the typical size (a few mgs) and the title is not deceiving and as long as I do not open it after I download it and I scan it manually for extra security, I should be safe?

If you do end up going with Limewire read the info at these 2 links:

How To Find Music

How To Use Bitzi Web Lookup

Be careful with files that are exe, rar (zipped files), they almost always contain viruses, & as arcman stated, wma/wmv files are dangerous.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users