Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Flaky A7v133

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Alchemist

Alchemist

• Members
  • 179 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 29 March 2007 - 04:14 PM

My other computer, actually my primary computer which I am using to post is an A7V133 rev. 1.05 with a 900 Mhz Duron in it. It has been a remarkably reliable board, but is getting old. Sometimes when I boot it, it fails to recognize the keyboard and there is no way to abort the memory test until it finishes and does the rest of the BIOS init. Then the keyboard works ok. Yes, I know I could set the BIOS to do a 'quick' boot, but I don't want to do that because of the CPU. I bought the CPU from one of the usual 'cheapie' mail-order sources and it has a problem that might be contributing to this. When first purchased, it worked fine. For a few of weeks. But just about when the return policy expired, the machine stopped booting. I managed to fix this by installing a different CPU and setting the BIOS to not use the 'fast' POST routines. It has since been able to boot with the Duron. This seems to give the system time to get itself together. So apparently this CPU was weak (perhaps damaged by overzealous testing?) and it must use the full POST routine to detect properly.

Additionally, it sometimes fails to recognize the MOUSE when booting, which is not noticed until Windows boots up and reports that it can't find the mouse. :thumbsup: I suspect this is related to the keyboard problem. Rebooting always fixes this, but it's annoying.

What I am wondering is whether these sorts of problems are possibly related to the board itself (something not replaceable like the northbridge) starting to go, or if the CPU is most likely to blame. You can still find compatible Duron CPUs, but it would be waste to buy a CPU for a dying main board.

Edited by Alchemist, 30 March 2007 - 12:18 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 29 March 2007 - 11:09 PM

The three thing I would try first are..

1) Change the BIOS battery. Sounds simple but the computer will act stange with a bad battery.

2) While you are in there make sure the fans are working and the heat sink is clean. Again sounds simple but you would be amazed at the users that over look keeping the computer clean.

3) Test the memory. I left that for last because it is time consuming. Let it run over night. MEM86.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Alchemist

Alchemist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 179 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 30 March 2007 - 06:32 PM

I hadn't considered that the BIOS battery could be near the end of its lifespan. :thumbsup: I wonder what one of those batteries costs?

Yes, I do clean the dust out now and then. But since this is at boot up when the system has not had time to heat up, I don't think that is related to this problem.

The memory is actually fairly new. And I tested it when I installed it. Not for hours at a time, no, but enough to know it works. This problem predates the current memory sticks.

Edited by Alchemist, 30 March 2007 - 06:34 PM.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 30 March 2007 - 09:55 PM

The battery is a common 2032 coin size battery. They are $2 to $4 at Walmart.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users