Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Home Premium - Unable To Extend A Non System/boot Partition

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 volpe71

volpe71

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 29 March 2007 - 02:32 PM

Hi!

First of all, sorry for my english! Then ...

I'm not able to expand a disk partition joining it to a new disk under Vista HOME PREMIUM.

environment:

disk 0 : sata, ~400 gb, volume C, volume D

disk 1 : pata, ~300 gb EMPTY

disk 2 : pata, ~120 gb, volume E

- disk 0, 1, 2 are all basic disks
- C is a primary, boot/system partition and holds pagefile, hibernate, etc.etc.
- both D and E are primary partition
- C, D, E are ntfs created by vista

My problem is that :

I'm able to extend volume E using empty space on disk 1 BUT

I'm NOT able to extend volume D using empty space on disk 1 (the option "extend" is grayed out)

So it seems to be possible to join a partition to unallocated space belonging to another physical disk.

I wonder why I can join E: to disk 1 but I can't join D: to disk 1.

Many thanks to everybody.

Luca.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 29 March 2007 - 03:32 PM

I presume that disk C: is your boot volume - as such you cannot extend it. Here's a link that describes this: http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsServe...3.mspx?mfr=true
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 volpe71

volpe71
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2007 - 03:40 PM

I presume that disk C: is your boot volume - as such you cannot extend it. Here's a link that describes this: http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsServe...3.mspx?mfr=true

Yes, C is my boot and system volume.
But I don't want to extend C.

I want to extend D !!!

I'm able to extend volume E using empty space on disk 1 BUT

I'm NOT able to extend volume D using empty space on disk 1 (the option "extend" is grayed out)

technet says:

- You can extend a volume only if it does not have a file system or if it is formatted using the NTFS file system.

and D is ntfs

- You can extend simple or extended volumes that are not system or boot volumes

D is simple, is not system, is not boot

- You cannot extend a system volume, boot volume, striped volume, mirrored volume, or RAID-5 volume.

perhaps this is the point! :huh:

D belongs to disk 0 which is SATA attached to ULI raid controller.

BUT I obviously didn't create a raid-5!!! disk 0 is the only disk attached to this controller.

:huh:

Edited by volpe71, 29 March 2007 - 03:48 PM.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 29 March 2007 - 04:40 PM

Sorry! I misread the post.

I'd try shrinking it the partition on Disk 1 and then try to extend D: to the unallocated space (inferred from this link: http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsServe...3.mspx?mfr=true )

Other than that, I'm at a loss. The only other thing that I can think of is that the "extending" pertains only to the disk itself and not the partitions (as if were only capable of reading from the MBR). If that's the case, then it'd be treating the D: as a part of the boot volume and wouldn't allow it (but this is just speculation on my part).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 volpe71

volpe71
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2007 - 01:17 AM

Sorry! I misread the post.

I'd try shrinking it the partition on Disk 1 and then try to extend D: to the unallocated space (inferred from this link: http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsServe...3.mspx?mfr=true )

I tried but it didn't work (not enougth free space to shrink).

But finally I think I found where the problem is. :huh:

Vista thinks disk 0 is a removable drive :huh: so I cannot extend any partition on
disk 0 by joining it to unallocated space on disk 1.

Now, if I'm right, the question is WHY it thinks so and HOW can I revert
this ? :huh:

motherboard: asus p5rd1-vm
controller: integrated ULI M1573 southbridge, 4xsata with raid 0, 1,
0+1, jobd

ULI's manual doesn't report hotswap capabilities and I did not use raid (I
have only one sata disk, disk 0).

:huh: .....

the only other thing that I can think of is that the "extending" pertains only to the disk itself and not the partitions (as if were only capable of reading from the MBR). If that's the case, then it'd be treating the D: as a part of the boot volume and wouldn't allow it (but this is just speculation on my part).

Thought the same at first.
But seems very strange that all technet articles state about VOLUMEs' requisites regarding boot/system, not about disks's.

Other than that, I'm at a loss.

Never mind.
Thanks to have taken time to answer me.

Luca.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users