Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.
I get this message FAX The feature you are trying to use is on a DC-ROM or other removable disk that is not available. (this message is always on my desk top and I think it is slowing my computer) Insert the "FAX" disk and click OK.
I inserted cd: " for installing V.92 (capable)/56K Telephony. data/FAX/Voice Modem Software for Microsoft Windows. [b] This didn't work.
Also: "Reinstallation CD Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition. I chose Repair but it didn't help.
I am getting the same exact thing!
Everytime I start up I have to cancel the dang installation 3 times before I can do anything further.
I never tried to install any fax - I have no idea where this came from.
1) Click Start
2) Click "Help and support"
3) Select "performance and maintenance" (at left near the bottom)
4) Scroll down and select "Fixing performance and maintenance problems"
5) Select "startup and shutdown troubleshooter
6) Under "what problem are you having?" select "when I start my computer a warning message appears."
7) Follow the instructions there. They look a little complicated but really aren't all that bad.
Basically you will be disabling the windows installer.
Disclaimer: I don't know what impact this may have on future applications when Windows needs to install something I actually want.