Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linksys Wireless N Router

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 lunaz

lunaz

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 29 March 2007 - 10:41 AM

my friend has bresnan cable & 1 laptop. i'm trying to set it up so she can use either ethernet or wireless. how do i set up her router to do this? best i can seem to get is limited or no connectivity (internet dnt work unless plugged in by ethernet). she uses winxp home sp2.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 29 March 2007 - 08:14 PM

Her router might have an Encryption. You can usually find the default one listed on the bottom of the cable modem. If not you can access the routers config by doing the following steps.

Click Start
Click Run
type CMD in the box
Hit ok
At the prompt type IPCONFIG
Hit enter
Write down the "Gateway address"

In Example, usually most router/modems are "192.168.1.1" but sometimes come with other numbers.

Anyways...

Open your internet explorer
in the address field type "Http://<YOUR ROUTER ADDRESS>"

In Example: "Http://192.168.1.1"

This will get you to your config page. It will probably ask you for a username and password. If it is default, it will probably be one of the following.

Username/password:

admin/admin
admin/pass
admin/
/admin
/pass
admin/1234

But after that you should see a wireless button to click, then wireless security. Check to see if there is a wep key set currently.

Gavin Seabrook

#3 lunaz

lunaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 30 March 2007 - 03:00 PM

there is a wep key set in the router, but i still cant see the internet unless i plug in the ethernet cable. i want her to be able to use either her lil wireless adapter or ethernet like normal.

i tried to get the adapter to connect to the router by giving it the wep key in the right click menu; but its a no go. she has a linksy usb wireless g adapter & a linksys something 300n router.

#4 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 30 March 2007 - 09:04 PM

check for driver updates.

Gavin Seabrook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users