Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive/file Access Problem

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 gadailey

gadailey

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 AM

Posted 29 March 2007 - 07:32 AM

I'll try to make this brief.
My Dell dimension 4300 died.
So, I took the hard drive out, and made it a slave on our kids computer-a Gateway that is about the same age as my Dell. However, the Gateway is rarely used, so it is in much better shape.

Anyway, I made it a slave in hopes that I could acess my files and copy them to the hard drive on the gateway, so I could later xfer them to the new computer I ordered.

I am able to see the files, and a lot of them, I was able to move over. Program files, things like that copied with no problem.
However when I tried to copy my personal settings, more specifically the outlook express identities, I kept getting "Access Denied". In fact, pretty much anything in the Documents and Settings folder was inaccessible.
I tried making it a shared folder,, moving it, copying it, renaming it etc... but got Access Denied.

Both Computers were/are running on Windows XP, both have all the most recent updates. I have administrator rights on both of them.

I also tried setting up the old hard drive as master but it won't boot up in the gateway. It will, but it boots up to the window asking if I want Last known good config, Safe mode, or start normally. If I choose safe mode, it runs a string of text, then stops. If I choose Last known good, or Start normally, it just hangs up and does nothing.

What are my options? Any ideas? I NEED to get those identity files- I can't operate business without them!
:thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 29 March 2007 - 07:53 AM

If you're using XP it may be that you need to take ownership of the files.

How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 PM

Posted 29 March 2007 - 09:23 AM

This article should help you with the outlook express transfer problem.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 gadailey

gadailey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2007 - 11:57 AM

thank you! I have xp pro, and taking ownership is what did it!!

many many thanks!!

God Bless
A. Dailey :thumbsup:

#5 gadailey

gadailey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2007 - 12:39 PM

ok...I have all those files restored. Thanks a ton! However, I'm not sure where the address book files are located. I have xp pro.

I appreciate the person who gave me the info on backing up outlook, but I didn't have a chance to do it before the pc died so I'm having to go in and pull it off the old hard drive.

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 30 March 2007 - 12:25 AM

The address book is normally stored in a .wab file. Search the drive for any files with a .wab extension and you should find it.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2007 - 08:52 AM

In Outlook Express, open up the Tools or Options. Under the Maintenance tab will be something about "Store Folder". Click on that and you'll see where OE stores the files. The location will be similar for the old files (but the long number for the identity may change).

You may also want to try this free utility (I haven't tried it yet): http://www.amictools.com/v-amic_email_backup.html

Edited by usasma, 01 April 2007 - 08:53 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users