Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Questions About Hardware

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Commander Gman

Commander Gman

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 AM

Posted 29 March 2007 - 02:40 AM

Hello everyone :flowers:
I am currently upgrading my pc but id like to know the following
Pls.bare with me for i am new in this upgrading thing
1.)Is the RAM separate? You can transfer RAM?
2.)Whats the difference between RAM & GHZ or MHZ
(im getting a bit confused :thumbsup: ) if i am correct,hertz is computer speed
while RAM is for how many programs can run at the same time?
3.)Ex.you get a new motherboard,you will want to install the driver if i am correct,
you can download it at the website or the CD provided?
4.)I dont get why people buy new motherboards...what exactly are the benefits anyway?
thanks in advance
-Commander Gman :trumpet:

Motherboard: MSI P35 Neo-F (Socket 775 LGA) Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40 Ghz Kentsfield Chipset: Intel P35 Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GT 440 Memory: 2x 2GB DDR2 800 RAM Storage: 1x IDE 80GB, 1x SATA II 500 GB, 1x External 500GB HD Power Supply: 600W Power supply Monitor: Dual screen set-up Casing: Mini-ATX Fan(s): 1x 80mm silent fan OS: Windows XP SP3

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 AM

Posted 29 March 2007 - 02:45 AM

Beginners Guide to Upgrading your RAM
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Commander Gman

Commander Gman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2007 - 03:38 AM

While i was reading... :thumbsup:
Wait..for a moment their in the second page :trumpet:
RAM does lower due in time? :cool:
Is this True? :woot:
I cant believe what im reading.... :flowers:
bizzare.... :inlove:

Motherboard: MSI P35 Neo-F (Socket 775 LGA) Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40 Ghz Kentsfield Chipset: Intel P35 Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GT 440 Memory: 2x 2GB DDR2 800 RAM Storage: 1x IDE 80GB, 1x SATA II 500 GB, 1x External 500GB HD Power Supply: 600W Power supply Monitor: Dual screen set-up Casing: Mini-ATX Fan(s): 1x 80mm silent fan OS: Windows XP SP3

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2007 - 03:42 AM

RAM does lower due in time?

Sorry, I don't quite understand your question. Can you perhaps re-phrase it.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 Commander Gman

Commander Gman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2007 - 04:13 AM

Oh sorry for that
Heres the actual question:
Does RAM lower when time goes by lets say a couple of years

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2007 - 04:18 AM

No. What happens is that the manufacturers release faster and faster RAM over the years. So RAM purchased 10 years ago was fast for its time, but now is slow compared to what is available.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 Commander Gman

Commander Gman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2007 - 04:31 AM

Ok thanks alot,Budapest :flowers:
I still have these questions remaining though:
3.)Ex.you get a new motherboard,you will want to install the driver if i am correct,
you can download it at the website or the CD provided?
4.)I dont get why people buy new motherboards...what exactly are the benefits anyway?
thanks in advance
5.)Is the RAM being used in 0S is shown in the Motherboard when you start your PC?
mines is ASUS X SERIES P4V800D-X and shows 128 MB RAM

#8 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 29 March 2007 - 05:23 AM

Hi Commander Gman

Hz or Hertz is just another name for cycles per second so the higher numbers are faster. Mega(1 million) and Giga(1thousand million). Bigger numbers can hold more traffic - like comparing a back country road to a six lane highway. This is bandwidth.

RAM is where most of the work is done on your PC, so the more the better. Your operating system is kept on your hard drive but when you boot up, it is loaded into RAM and works from there. When your RAM gets full, the overflow goes into your harddrive's paging file. The total memory on your machine is called the virtual Memory.Things will work fastest out of RAM because nothing has to move, unlike the paging file which has to be accessed physically. The paging file should be 1.5 times the size of your RAM. There is an old saying that 'Unused RAM is Wasted Ram' so you never want to use any so-called memory enhancers as they push stuff out of RAM onto the hard drive and actually slow things down.

There is a very comprehensive tutorial on RAM here at BC.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#9 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2007 - 05:32 AM

The main reasons to upgrade a motherboard is that you want a faster CPU and the current motherboard won't support the speed or the CPU requires a different socket; you want more RAM and your motherboard won't support it; or you may have run out of room for PCI adapters and want more.

If you're going to upgrade your motherboard see the below link.

How to replace the motherboard on a computer that is running Windows Server 2003, Windows XP, or Windows 2000

—George Bernard Shaw

#10 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 PM

Posted 29 March 2007 - 06:18 AM

3,4---to answer from a non-technical point of view.
Generally speaking, drivers are programmes for peripherals or for your graphic and audio cards.
Different MBs (motherboards) are designed for different CPU chips, so changing your processor (say, upgrading your computer) may require changing your MB so it works and "fits" into the slot for it on the MB. One must also take into consideration the case, as well, since MBs must physically fit into the case's MB area .
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#11 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 29 March 2007 - 02:40 PM

The GHz and MHz is the same stuff you heard about in high-school. In this case it is the same thing, the clock-frequency of the processor measured in Hz, where the G and M are prefixes used to avoid writing lots of zeros. This is a the SI standard stuff you also head about in high-school. You know, the utter boring stuff nobody will ever need to know anyways. :flowers: As for what its relation to computers is, it isn't the speed of a computer, although many believe it is. Think of it as the rpm of a car. You can't tell how fast a car is traveling by the rpm alone, but if you know the gear, the gear ratio, the axle ratio and the tire size you can figure out how fast the car is traveling. If you got two identical cars traveling in the same gear, you know that the one with the higher rpm is traveling faster. The same goes for processors: With two otherwise identical processors, the one with a higher frequency is faster.

RAM (Random Access Memory) is where the computer stores the stuff it it working on at the moment. Think of RAM as a desk. Say you are writing a book. You got all the stuff you need on your desk; all the research material and notes and so on. If you didn't have this desk you would have to get up and go over to the shelf every time you needed something and this would waste a lot of time and you'd never get anything done. The RAM serves the same purpose. The computer has all the stuff it is working with in the RAM so that it won't have to go dig through the Hard drive every time it needed something. Not having enough RAM is like having to small a desk, so that you can't fit all that you need on it, and you're forced to leave some of the stuff on the shelf, and then when you need it you have to get up and get it. Same happens when the computer hasn't got enough RAM. It has to leave some of the stuff it uses in the hard drive, and the waste time go looking for it when it needs it.

thanks in advance

The main job of the motherboard is to connect to and communicate with all the other parts of the computer. As was earlier suggested you may want a new processor. Then you may have to get a new motherboard if the older on cannot connect to the processor (they may use different connectors) or it doesn't know how to communicate with it.

5.)Is the RAM being used in 0S is shown in the Motherboard when you start your PC?
mines is ASUS X SERIES P4V800D-X and shows 128 MB RAM

The RAM shown when you start the computer is the motherboard telling you how much memory it has detected. This is generally also the amount of RAM available to the OS.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#12 Commander Gman

Commander Gman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2007 - 08:58 AM

Ok thanks for the info everyone :thumbsup:
but how does one find out about his video card?

#13 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2007 - 09:04 AM

Download and install SIW. This free utility will give you loads of information about your system.

—George Bernard Shaw

#14 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 02 April 2007 - 06:10 PM

I would just like to add that before you buy anything, post back with what you want to get and the specs. of your computer. The people here will help you buy the correct stuff so you don't run into a lot of headaches
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#15 Commander Gman

Commander Gman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2007 - 06:58 PM

I would just like to add that before you buy anything, post back with what you want to get and the specs. of your computer. The people here will help you buy the correct stuff so you don't run into a lot of headaches
Mark

An excellent Suggestion,garmanma :thumbsup:
I already bought some parts upgraded my ram so its now 768 however im going for another run at the computer shop to buy some parts
Im gonna buy the ff:
-Floppy Drive
-CD-ROM drive
I need to know CD-ROM drive types
i know theres this 8x,32x,52x in CD-ROM Drives,can anyone tell me what are they?
Ill just bring the non-working cds so that they can test it
also,the computer salesman told me that they need this so called "plug" so i can use
both CD-ROM drives at the same time since i currently have 2

Edited by Commander Gman, 02 April 2007 - 07:02 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users