Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Ram?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Shortyaznkid_*

Guest_Shortyaznkid_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 29 March 2007 - 02:21 AM

Well when i went to Bestbuy, I bought myself a HP Pavilion Desktop with a OS of Windows Vista. It has 2.2 GHz CPU, AMD Live, and 1024 MB of RAM, but when i started the computer it shows that i have 894 MB of RAM. How come its not 1024 MB? :huh:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2007 - 04:53 AM

Likely the remaining RAM is devoted to an onboard video card (that uses RAM in place of video RAM). Part of the new display driver model is a revamp of how memory usage is displayed. Try typing "dxdiag" (without the quotes) at the Start button, then clicking on the Video tab to see the usage for your video card.

Edited by usasma, 29 March 2007 - 04:57 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Skhunt

Skhunt

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 03 April 2007 - 11:46 AM

I cannot believe retailers are selling Vista PC's with only 1 gig of ram....2 should be the absolute minimum....

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2007 - 12:09 PM

I'm typing this on a Compaq laptop that came with 512 mB of RAM (only 504 shows due to the vid card). It's Vista Home Basic and is only used at the wife's office - so it works quite well with little RAM.

It's a trade off between cost and performance. These systems function fine for their intended purpose. Trying to get more performance out of them is a losing proposition - since they were optimized for cost rather than performance.

The average user only wants to surf the web, check email, and maybe do something simple with music or movies. So that's what the manufacturer's aim at.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 jpfieber

jpfieber

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2007 - 11:12 PM

The average user only wants to surf the web, check email, and maybe do something simple with music or movies. So that's what the manufacturer's aim at.

That's where a lot of people run into problems. web and e-mail are no big deal. But add music and the demands go up on your hardware, and people start getting disappointed. Throw in video and you take a quantum leap were a bare bones PC typically falls down. With everything on the web going multimedia, it's becoming more difficult to get by on a system like you describe (just like it being almost impossible to use dial-up any more).

#6 Ytka

Ytka

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 06 April 2007 - 10:34 PM

I also just bought a HP laptop with Vista. Mine shows the same thing, except mine shows a little bit more RAM. I think its about 940. It came with 1G RAM and runs fine. I don't do any extremely intense work with mine, but it's probably a good bit more than the average user. I swore that I wasn't going to buy a computer with
Vista for at least a few years, but I must say I'm pleasantly surprised. I will be adding another partition so that I can run Ubuntu though.

#7 Trio3b

Trio3b

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 AM

Posted 07 April 2007 - 11:26 AM

Unfortunately we PC users (as a group) have been conditioned into accepting more CPU speed and more RAM as an answer to everything. Above posts are correct about usage of RAM . Vista should do OK with 512 as long as you keep eye-candy to a minimum and are just 'net surfing or simple office software. Music and video / gaming have always been the memory hogs and consequently they have to "peel" off some of the system RAM to use for embedded video.

#8 Jesse Bassett

Jesse Bassett

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 AM

Posted 07 April 2007 - 03:17 PM

If I have 75 GB of space on my hard-drive, and have 54.6 free space, would putting music in that free space slow my PC down?
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 l McAfee Total Protection l Super AntiSpyware Free Edition l AdAware SE Personal l Spyware Blaster l Spyware Guard l Safe Eyes 2007

#9 jpfieber

jpfieber

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 AM

Posted 07 April 2007 - 03:23 PM

Generally it won't cause a problem unless your disk gets too full. If the disk is so full that programs don't have space for cache files, pagefiles, etc, then you can run into problems. Keep 5%-10% free and you should be fine.

#10 Jesse Bassett

Jesse Bassett

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 07 April 2007 - 03:27 PM

Generally it won't cause a problem unless your disk gets too full. If the disk is so full that programs don't have space for cache files, pagefiles, etc, then you can run into problems. Keep 5%-10% free and you should be fine.

Thank you for your quick response jpfieber.
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 l McAfee Total Protection l Super AntiSpyware Free Edition l AdAware SE Personal l Spyware Blaster l Spyware Guard l Safe Eyes 2007

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users