Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To 'pull Photos' From A Slide Show, Please ...

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 29 March 2007 - 01:36 AM

I've been loaned a CD with a home-made slide show filled with photos of our grandchildren - and have permission to 'pull' individual photos from it, for printing, etc. The person who created it hasn't any idea how to do it (and apparently no longer has the photos themselves) - and I'm stumped.

Is there a 'simple' way to do this, please?

(Nearly forgot to mention the slide show is created with a program called 'Photodex' - I don't have this program but at least it opens on my computer).

(Moderator edit: added Topic Description. jgw)

Edited by jgweed, 29 March 2007 - 08:30 PM.

Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 AM

Posted 29 March 2007 - 05:55 AM

If you can "see" the individual files on the CD (use Windows Explorer or any picture editor that has a "view thumbnail" option), then you may be able to copy the ones you want to your hard drive. Hopefully Photodex uses a standard file type (jpeg, for example) to store the pictures on the disk.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 MaraM

MaraM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2007 - 11:00 AM

Hi John,

I found Windows Explorer and under the D Drive it showed the proper heading of the CD ... but when I clicked on it (left side of screen), on the right, larger side of screen it shows an icon of a slide show ... when I click the icon, it doesn't 'break apart' to show me the individual photos - rather, the actual slide show starts.

I think I must be doing something incorrectly?

Thank you ever so much for your help with this - really do appreciate it, kind man!

Mara
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2007 - 08:28 PM

I have a possible solution for your problem, and a workaround.

1. Hipefully you have a high speed internet connexion. There is a free trail of Photodex ProshowGold (I assume that is what you need):

http://www.photodex.com/downloads/trials.html

This should allow you to work with the slide show or at least be able to view (and download to your hard drive) the content files.

Workaround:
If this doesn't work, you could run the slideshow on your computer, pause it at the picture you want to save, and do a screen print of each of them.

Hope this helps.
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 MaraM

MaraM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2007 - 11:00 PM

Hi John and I'm ever so sorry I've taken this long to return to the thread and your kind help.

Yes, luckily I've always had a high speed internet connection - but being thrifty at heart (gentle grin), I'll start off with your great suggestion of pausing the slideshow and do a 'print screen' for each photo wanted. (Now I just have to hope I can find a 'pause' button on this keyboard because the slide-show itself doesn't give any option except to 'start' - and when trying to exit, I've just been hitting 'Esc').

Thank you, thank you!!

#6 MaraM

MaraM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2007 - 10:42 PM

Oh dear, this is beyond embarassing ... but the 'print screen' button on the keyboard ... since it doesn't actually talk to the printer itself, would you please be kind enough to tell me what happens to the image after I hit the button, please? (I thought I could likely find a area the image was sent to by looking under Start>All programs> Assessories ... but after this, I'm a tad stumped :thumbsup: ).

Thanks so much!

#7 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 AM

Posted 22 April 2007 - 11:28 PM

When you hit the Print Screen button, it copies an image of whats on the screen, to the Clipboard.
It's just like when you highlight some text, and select Copy, except instead of text, it's an image of what's on your screen.

After hitting Print Screen, open your image editing program, right click in the open window, and select Paste, or you can do it from the toolbar (Edit / Paste).
Then, just save it, like you would do any other image.

This tutorial will explain it a bit more thoroughly:
How to take and share a screen shot in Windows
(Steps 1-4)

Edited by tg1911, 22 April 2007 - 11:32 PM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#8 MaraM

MaraM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2007 - 10:46 PM

Oh dear, I just found your wonderful reply, tb1911! Thanks so much for explaining the process - gentle hug!

Feel free to laugh yourself silly that I honestly thought originally the 'print screen' button did just that, the printer printed what was on the screen - dreadful disappointment to find it wasn't so - hoot! And then, I read the button copied things to 'Clipboard' - and drove myself a tad nuts trying to find 'clipboard' on my computer (never did find it!).

My pesky Corel photo editing program refuses to 'paste' anything after hitting 'print screen' button ... but am off to try doing it with one of my numerous other photo/image editing programs! And if I still have difficulty, will simply download the Photodex ProshowGold, as John suggested.

Thanks so very much to both you and John - how very kind you are!

Kindest thoughts,
Mara

#9 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2007 - 11:55 PM

You're quite welcome, Mara.

My pesky Corel photo editing program refuses to 'paste' anything after hitting 'print screen' button ...

How are you trying to "Paste"?
1. Right-click and select Paste
2. Ctrl+V
3. On Corel's toolbar, Edit / Paste
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

#10 MaraM

MaraM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2007 - 11:53 PM

It worked, it worked!!!! Thank you so so so much!!! :thumbsup:

#11 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2007 - 12:37 AM

Congratulations, Mara. :thumbsup:
Glad to hear, you got it to work.
Were you able to save all the images. you wanted?

#12 pwgib

pwgib

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,957 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2007 - 10:09 AM

Just for future reference here's a utility that should do what you need. The link is for version 5.3 but hurry FastoneCapture went to version 5.4 which is now shareware.

http://www.freewarearena.com/html/Downloads/get=1993.html

What Is FastStone Capture?
FastStone Capture is a program that can be used to capture screen images that you want to place in a
document, a brochure, an e-mail message, a slide show and for lots of other things. You can even use it to
capture images from a slide show while the slide show is running.
FastStone Capture is a powerful, flexible and intuitive screen-capture utility. It allows you to capture
anything that is on your computer screen including windows, objects, full screen, rectangle regions,
freehand-selected regions and scrolling windows. It has innovative features such as a floating Capture Panel,
hotkeys, resizing, cropping, text annotation, image editing, printing, e-mailing, screen magnifier and many
more. Once FastStone Capture is active, the screen capture features can be activated by using the Floating
Capture Panel or Keyboard shortcuts (Hotkeys).

Tutorial link:

http://www.faststone.org/FSCTutorial.htm

PW
PW

#13 MaraM

MaraM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2007 - 11:03 AM

I got nearly all the photos but there were two that didn't want to 'play nicely' - but thanks again for the great tip, tg1911 :thumbsup:

And thanks for the link to the freeware, pwgib - I wasted no time in following your advise and downloaded the freeware! Always amazes me how generous developers of specialized software are - love freeware! Thanks again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users