Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Thanks Are Due - Recent Winantiviruspro Infection

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Skylark13

Skylark13

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 28 March 2007 - 08:32 PM

Hello,

I want to thank the great community here. I was able to eliminate a recent WinAntivirusPro (and many other) spyware infection on two of my home's computers using information from this site. I have always been good at general tech support, as well as building and setting up lots of machines through the years, so using other posts of infection as a basis I was able to learn how to clean that all up pretty easily. It just took a bit of time... Thanks!

I wish we had some way of getting the makers of all that nonsense behind bars. I lost over 10 hours over several nights (on two computers simultaneously) scanning and fixing the problems. Maybe the spyware makers should pay for all that lost time in the form of fines payable to the victims -- that would surely offset the revenue they're obviously making from that dodgy business!

Skylark

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2007 - 08:38 PM

Hi just want to say glad you found it and thanks for the kind words. See you in the forums ... Oh yeah! Welcome to BC :thumbsup:
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 28 March 2007 - 08:45 PM

Would like to add a warm welcome to you skylark 13.

Stick around and enjoy this friendliest and most helpful forum.

Cheers :thumbsup:

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#4 Skylark13

Skylark13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2007 - 08:53 PM

Oh, and I wanted to ask a question. Doing this malware removal required lots of different tools:

- HijackThis of course
- Combofix
- OiUninstaller.exe
- ps_uninstaller.exe
- VundoFix
- Ad-Aware SE Personal
- AVG Anti-Virus
- AVG Anti-Spyware
- Spybot S&D
- Spyware Blaster
- Trend Micro HouseCall online virus scan
- etc.

The way I see it, some of these should do the same thing as others (e.g. AVG Anti-Virus and HouseCall are both anti-virus and trojan scanners ; Ad-Aware, Spybot and AVG Anti-Spyware are malware scanners) and others are fixes to specific problems which should also be covered by the more general scanners (VundoFix, ps_uninstaller, OiUninstaller, Combofix).

Also, the process was rather time-consuming, scanning with one tool, then with another, rebooting to safe mode, scanning with something else, rebooting again, etc. until everything was gone.

Finally, I think the malware I had are among the most common these days.

So my question is, why can't one tool do the "right thing" for the most common malware infections on the first try? It shouldn't be that hard since tools exist for each specific thing. I think if the tools were correctly designed and implemented, one anti-virus and one anti-spyware should be enough... This would also make the situation with the proliferation of malware a bit easier to bear for users, since they wouldn't have to go to sites like this one as often once they had the right tools installed and updating automatically.

Is there a good reason why the current tools are so fragmented and incomplete? Or is it just that each company providing a tool has limited resources and can only concentrate on so many malware sources? (which I can surely understand but would like to see improved of course)

Thanks,

Skylark

Edited by Skylark13, 28 March 2007 - 09:13 PM.

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 28 March 2007 - 09:41 PM

Different tools have different methods of looking for an infection.
No tool is perfect for all situations.
Also, not all authors of these tools agree, on what constitutes an infection, and what doesn't, so what one will remove, the other will overlook.
That's why it's a good idea to run several.
What one might miss, because of what it's looking for, hopefully another will catch.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,751 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2007 - 10:57 AM

Adding to what tg1911 has already said.

Some tools, like Combofix and HijackThis, are advanced tools normally used by malware removal experts who are helping others to investigate and remove malware infections in the Hijackthis forum. They are intended to be used under the guidance and supervision of an expert. Using them improperly can cause damage to a computer system. Other tools like Vundofix and smitfraudfix are specifically created for a particular infection and thus, they will not work for other than what they were intended for.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users