Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best Antivirus And Firewall?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

Poll: Best AntiVirus? (40 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you consider the Best AntiVirus product?

1. AVG (12 votes [30.00%])

Percentage of vote: 30.00%

2. Kaspersky (9 votes [22.50%])

Percentage of vote: 22.50%

3. McAfee (2 votes [5.00%])

Percentage of vote: 5.00%

4. Norton (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. Panda (1 votes [2.50%])

Percentage of vote: 2.50%

6. Antivir (2 votes [5.00%])

Percentage of vote: 5.00%

7. Norton (1 votes [2.50%])

8. Trend Micro (3 votes [7.50%])

Percentage of vote: 7.50%

9. Eset nod32 (10 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

10. Bitdefender (0 votes [0.00%])

What do you consider the best Firewall product?

1. Agnintium Outpost (1 votes [2.50%])

2. Jetico (0 votes [0.00%])

3. Sunbelt (1 votes [2.50%])

4. Lavasoft (0 votes [0.00%])

5. McAfee (3 votes [7.50%])

Percentage of vote: 7.50%

6. Norton (0 votes [0.00%])

7. Zone Alarm (11 votes [27.50%])

Percentage of vote: 27.50%

8. Sygate (6 votes [15.00%])

Percentage of vote: 15.00%

9. Comodo (14 votes [35.00%])

Percentage of vote: 35.00%

10. Other, Please specify (4 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 AM

Posted 28 March 2007 - 07:52 PM

Hello all,

I think it would be a good idea if we all posted which AV and Firewall we believe is the best, I think that this would be helpful to everybody as it will give people a rough guideline as to which products to choose and the ones to stay away from.

If its not on the list, by all means post it here and say a few words about it.

Thanks
Regards,

Alan.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2007 - 07:55 PM

Nod32 because its lightweight and very effective in my experience.

Sygate because it is fairly low on resources and it has lots of special features with little setting up required.
Regards,

Alan.

#3 Commander Gman

Commander Gman

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 29 March 2007 - 01:24 AM

Trend Micro because of its real-time protection against viruses it shows a pop-up automatically and tells you that a virus has been caught then automatically placed at the quarantine i reccommend using only Trend Micro Internet Security 2006 though because numerous reports states that 2007 makes your pc slow

ZoneAlarm for also an outstanding real-time protection form threats in the internet

Motherboard: MSI P35 Neo-F (Socket 775 LGA) Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40 Ghz Kentsfield Chipset: Intel P35 Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GT 440 Memory: 2x 2GB DDR2 800 RAM Storage: 1x IDE 80GB, 1x SATA II 500 GB, 1x External 500GB HD Power Supply: 600W Power supply Monitor: Dual screen set-up Casing: Mini-ATX Fan(s): 1x 80mm silent fan OS: Windows XP SP3

#4 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2007 - 07:31 AM

So far it looks like sygate and nod are in the lead.

:thumbsup:
Regards,

Alan.

#5 Guest_madaro_*

Guest_madaro_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 31 March 2007 - 07:16 AM

I voted AVG products and currently use AVG Anti-Malware (antivirus and antispyware protection) a great combination with the XP firewall. I have used the Windows XP firewall since XP hit the market place and I have yet to be infected by a worm or port exploit. It has provided me with excellent inbound protection.

#6 The Gorilla

The Gorilla

• Members
  • 766 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2007 - 01:02 PM

Nod and Comodo here both light and neither interupt me. :thumbsup:

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,404 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2007 - 05:12 PM

I use Comodo Firewall.. I think it to be the best I've ever used and it free.
AV well I voted Panda as I have a paid version on one machine. I bought it for three years, 2 years ago. As I replaced Symantec. It is excellent so far so good. Light , simple and effective.
As for the rest I have AVG and Comodo wall and that just great too.
On my desktop( see it in sig) I'm trying out a beta of Comodo AV so that's not votable yet..but promisiing.
If there were a free and pay selection those are my votes.

Edited by boopme, 31 March 2007 - 05:15 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#8 Jesse Bassett

Jesse Bassett

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 03 April 2007 - 01:11 PM

I voted other. I now use Windows Live One Care for my Vista Home Premium machine. Its the only Internet Security suite that runs on it. (Based on my experience)
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 l McAfee Total Protection l Super AntiSpyware Free Edition l AdAware SE Personal l Spyware Blaster l Spyware Guard l Safe Eyes 2007

#9 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 PM

Posted 03 April 2007 - 01:31 PM

Seems I'm not the only one favoring NOD32.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#10 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 AM

Posted 03 April 2007 - 05:13 PM

I have been using AVG Free for several years. I recently purchased the File Server Edition to run on my W2000 Advanced Server. AVG also have active scanning of both Windows and email. It will popup a warning whenever it detects malware. I am very pleased. Have not intention of switching. As a matter of fact I ended up with 5 of my computers being covered by the File Server license. I still use SyGate 5.6 on all of my computers. 13 total.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#11 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,987 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 03 April 2007 - 09:03 PM

I think which one is best depends partly on your computer spec. and partly on what other software you have installed. I presently have Kerio Personal Firewall - paid edition because the others two I tried which I really would have preferred in some ways, just wouldn't cooperate on my system.

I presently use Avast! anti-virus. Is it the 'best'? I don't know, but I do find it relatively light on resources. On the other hand, I don't use P2P, instant messaging, or Outlook Exchange so there are three AV components of the program that I don't have to activate.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#12 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2007 - 07:36 PM

I think symantec should be on the anti virus list because it comes preinstalled on many computers.

For firewall I chose other because I use Black Ice.

#13 marcus antonius

marcus antonius

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2007 - 03:07 PM

You don't have some very good antivirus products on this list, like DrWeb for example. DrWeb is very old antivirus company.

Edited by marcus antonius, 09 April 2007 - 03:09 PM.

Lycurgus did not intend for Sparta to conquer and rule other cities. His opinion was that the happiness of a nation, like the happiness of a man, consists in the exercise of virtue, and not in power or wealth. His laws were for the purpose of making the Spartans free-minded, self-reliant, and sober. Many philosophers have left behind plans for perfect governments, but Lycurgus was the author - not merely in writing but in reality - of a complete philosophical state, which others could not even copy.

#14 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 PM

Posted 09 April 2007 - 03:25 PM

I'll put AVG up against DrWeb. I have been using it in concert with other techniques and have not had a virus since 2003, when I was using Norton and MacAfee. I spend 3 to 8 hours a day on the internet 4 to6 days a week.
The antivirus is only one part of a good security system
Regular OS updates
Several antispywares running and scanning
A router with NAT
Firewall (Software)
Active Email scanning
Routine online scans

They are all part of a larger picture. Personally I know nothing about DrWeb Antivirus.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#15 marcus antonius

marcus antonius

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 09 April 2007 - 04:19 PM

DrWeb like I sayed is very old company from Russia, it's concurrent to Kaspersky from begining, thay start at the same time on the market. This is official website of DrWeb http://www.drweb.com/ if someone want to know more about DrWeb. I don't use this antivirus becouse it's commercial, I like free products, but I have only words of glory for this software. Unfortunately they don't have such good management like Kaspersky, they only have good software expert, but that is not enough to be world famous.

Edited by marcus antonius, 09 April 2007 - 05:58 PM.

Lycurgus did not intend for Sparta to conquer and rule other cities. His opinion was that the happiness of a nation, like the happiness of a man, consists in the exercise of virtue, and not in power or wealth. His laws were for the purpose of making the Spartans free-minded, self-reliant, and sober. Many philosophers have left behind plans for perfect governments, but Lycurgus was the author - not merely in writing but in reality - of a complete philosophical state, which others could not even copy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users