Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pc Shutsdown After 2-3 Seconds

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 hammock14

hammock14

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 28 March 2007 - 07:43 PM

Hi all, I could use a little assistance.

I built a computer about 2 months ago and everything was working fine until yesterday. Went to boot the computer and it shuts down after a few seconds. Originally I thought power supply so swapped it out and had the same result. Reseated all my connections and still same problem. Unplugged all devices except for RAM, CPU and video card with no luck. Once in a while it will get to the windows log in screen and then will shut down. This will happen from a cold start so I do not think its overheating but could be a sensor. I have reset the CMOS battery still no luck. Tried different power outlets with no luck. So I think I have it narrowed down to Video card, CPU or mobo. Also swapped RAM with no luck. Anyone have any thoughts on this? I am pretty much out of ideas.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 29 March 2007 - 12:39 AM

Please post your system Specs including model numbers if possible.

Gavin Seabrook

#3 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 AM

Posted 29 March 2007 - 01:09 AM

Posted Image to BC

Try disabling the automatically restart on system failure feature. Then you are able to read what messages appear on the blue screen and post that back here for some one to lol at.

Click Start Button

On the Start Menu click Control Panel

When the Control Panel window opens click on the System icon

The system properties window opens

Click the Advanced tab

In the Advanced tab window locate the Start and Recovery section and press the Settings button

When the settings window opens look for the System failure section

Remove the check mark from the Automatically Restart option

Click OK to Exit

#4 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 29 March 2007 - 04:11 PM

My friend was having a similar problem when he first built his computer. After a few seconds of being on it turned itself off with warning. Turns out idling in the bios his processor was going at 70 degrees C! He put on some better thermal paste and it lowered it down to about 29 degrees C, and this fixed it.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#5 hammock14

hammock14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2007 - 05:54 PM

I took the motherboard out of the case and removed the heatsink and applied new thermal paste. The processor was NOT above temp. It was holding at about 30C. I would have the same symptoms from a cold boot. It seemed to run ok outside of the case so I put it back together and currently it is working. I did disable a few features in the BIOS but I doubt this helped as it ran fine for 2 months. I am not a believer it is fixed at the moment so I will keep you guys posted. Thanks for your help!

#6 hammock14

hammock14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2007 - 06:27 PM

Well, scratch my last post, its still shutting down. It seemed more stable outside of the computer though, not sure why. It normally happens a few seconds after I start booting the computer. Anyone else have any thoughts?

This is the motherboard
BIOSTAR NF4UAM2G Socket AM2

This is the video card
BIOSTAR V7603GT21 GeForce 7600GT 256MB

This is the chip
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+(65W) Windsor 2.2GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 Processor

Thanks guys

#7 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 AM

Posted 29 March 2007 - 06:35 PM

doin't you get a bsod?

#8 hammock14

hammock14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2007 - 07:12 PM

no bsod, I dont make it anywhere near a login screen for windows. That would be a major improvement!

#9 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2007 - 08:05 PM

Check your event viewer (Start>control panel>administrative tools>Event Viewer) and look under the System Area. See if you have any "System errors" or "Bug Checks". Double click any you find and post the EVENT ID, SOURCE, and Description.

Gavin Seabrook

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2007 - 08:33 PM

poor choice of word for a previous post...never mind. :thumbsup:

Edited by dc3, 29 March 2007 - 08:34 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#11 minicooper21921

minicooper21921

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2007 - 11:21 PM

Hey there guys my name is ryan. I actually am having that exact problem as the guy said about the computer shuting down after like 2-3 seconds. I have a biostar motherboard too! Specs: Biostar Geforce NVIDiA 939 Socket AMD Athhlon 64 4000+ 2.40 GHz. I was told that it was too low of a powersupply but i have changeed it out 4 times. Each time to something higher. (now up to 550 watts) Please help... :thumbsup:

//Mod edit: To remove email address and cell phone number to protect you from all kinds of nefarious individuals.
One should NEVER post such in an open forum.

Edited by KoanYorel, 01 April 2007 - 08:48 AM.

#12 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2007 - 08:50 AM

Rebooting 2 to 3 seconds after powering on is too early for Windows to recognize it. This is likely to be a hardware issue and the system stripdown is needed to narrow down the possible causes ( http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/70216/hardware-troubleshooting-via-system-stripdown/ )

Test the RAM with this free, bootable utility: http://www.memtest86.com/

Test the Hard Drive with a free, bootable utility from the manufacturer of your hard drive.

After that, it's replacing the parts until you find the cure. The mobo and CPU should be the last things to test - because they're expensive and because they're essential to the rest of the system. BUT...it may come to replacing them also.

If you go that far, you may want to consider getting a diagnostic done at a repair shop. Pick one that has a bootable utility to check the motherboard and CPU (this is an expensive software tool that will generally cost more than a motherboard CPU combo).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#13 hammock14

hammock14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2007 - 09:32 AM

I got an RMA from newegg and I have not touched the computer in a couple of days so I figured I would fire it up just to make sure the problem still existed. So far it has been running for 30 minutes with no problems! What gives?! I will keep an eye on but this is crazy.

Ryan, Have you had any luck?

#14 minicooper21921

minicooper21921

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2007 - 02:18 AM

Actually I did find the problem to my computer cutting on and then shuting off instantly... Get This! It was the on and off swich in the front of the machine! It was a short in it. It kinda pissed me off because all the hard work of trying to find out what the problem was. But it is all a learning experence! Thanks for all your help people!
~Ryan~ :thumbsup:

#15 hammock14

hammock14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2007 - 06:07 PM

What did you do to fix the short?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users