Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Troubles Forwarding A Port For Utorrent

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 woodharpy

woodharpy

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 AM

Posted 28 March 2007 - 07:34 PM

i've tried going through the instructions on portforward.com but i still can't seem to get it to forward properly whenever i run the check it tells me it isn't forwarded properly and i'm only downloading at about 6kb/s when i should be downloading at about 40kb/s with good seeds. any suggestions?

CAUTION: Cape Does Not Enable User To Fly

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 twardnw

twardnw

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 AM

Posted 28 March 2007 - 10:50 PM

what router are you using?

#3 woodharpy

woodharpy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2007 - 12:14 AM

i'm using a d-link dl-604 i noticed that there were two versions of this router listed on the website and i'm not sure which one i have but i assumed it was the first one and the screenshots looked the same anyway.

#4 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 29 March 2007 - 01:12 AM

have you checked whether the firewall in your router is enabled?

#5 idk

idk

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 AM

Posted 29 March 2007 - 01:25 AM

There are many factors that can influence the speed of a torrent
-The amount of peers and seeds uploading
-The settings so it suits your internet speed
-Are you uploading, I found it download was faster if I upload more
-Only have one torrent active at once whether up/downloading

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 AM

Posted 29 March 2007 - 01:31 AM

It may be your software firewall that is preventing the port from forwarding.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 woodharpy

woodharpy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2007 - 01:36 AM

i'm thinkin its probably my firewall seems like i've looked into everything else how would i go about checking to see if i'm right i tried goin into my router and turning off the firewall to see if that was it but i couldn't find a way to just turn it off i tried turning off my norton firewall for a minute or so just to see if that was blocking it but it didn't make any difference so i turned it back on.

#8 twardnw

twardnw

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2007 - 01:40 AM

even though norton says it is off, it never really is. try adding exceptions to the norton firewall for the ports, rebooting, then see if it works

#9 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2007 - 01:45 AM

With regards to your Norton firewall, you need to make sure your configuration for uTorrent has two rules: an inbound rule to permit TCP and UDP connections from any computer to the single local port your uTorrent is listening on and an outbound rule to permit TCP and UDP connections to any computer on all ports. I think you also need to deselect "Stealth blocked ports" in the "Advanced security settings".
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#10 twardnw

twardnw

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2007 - 01:46 AM

just one of the many reasons I strongly dislike norton

#11 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2007 - 01:48 AM

I agree!

—George Bernard Shaw

#12 woodharpy

woodharpy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2007 - 12:31 AM

i've always used norton from the day i've got my computer and have never had any problems with it. i'll try making a firewall exception a little later i'm frustrated with the whole thing right now and need to take a break. thanks for the help and i'll let you know if norton was the problem or not.

#13 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2007 - 01:58 AM

Norton isn't really a bad application, but there are a number of reasons I don't use it:

1. It costs money. You can get perfectly adequate protection using freeware applications (better protection than Norton in my opinion).

2. Being one of the most popular applications, many malware writers will specifically design their malware to get around Norton. It's not Norton's fault but there it is.

3. Norton has a reputation of being a resources hog. This means that it uses more CPU and RAM than many other similar applications, which can slow your system down.

—George Bernard Shaw

#14 woodharpy

woodharpy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2007 - 03:18 AM

ya i know norton can be a resources hog but i think the newest version is A LOT better especially when its scanning and i didn't know there was enough freeware out there to protect a computer without having to pay for some virus protection along side norton or some other virus protection i do use some freeware programs alongside norton to help pick up mostly adware and spyware. as for making an exception in the norton firewall i'm having some trouble finding out where to make one i havn't had the 2007 norton very long and i can't seem to find it. oh and what freeware apps. do you use budapest?

#15 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2007 - 05:14 AM

Check out Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps. Loads of good stuff in there, not just anti-virus.

I personally use AVG Anti-virus, Comodo firewall and the usual anti-spyware. I also back this up with regular on-line scans.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users