Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp System Spontaneously Shuts Down And Blue Message Screen Pops Up

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ericwilmoth

ericwilmoth

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 AM

Posted 28 March 2007 - 04:32 PM

Hello.

Attached, is a photo of a blue screen that pops up on my computer occasionally after it shuts down spontaneously. It started months ago…but only happened like once every three months, and never after making any significant changes to my system…so I just restarted my computer and kept moving. But this last week it’s happened three times.

I’m actually getting some assistance in the HijackThis Logs and Analysis in this thread: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/85082/trojan-dnete-trojanbankash-haxdoorfam-goldunfam-antivirus-gold-hotwebfinderwinbrume/

I thought this blue screen shutdown might have something to do with my other problems so I mentioned it there, and the person helping me there suggested I bring it here.

I should mention that many months back I reformatted my system and had a computer buddy help me. He’s an expert, but our friendship has dissolved, which is why I’m here now. At the time, I had somehow lost my original XP system disks, so he used his professional version to set up my system. After that I started getting notifications that my windows system may not be genuine—which of course it’s not, now—but Microsoft was kind and sent me a one-time backup of my xp system disks. I still have not resolved the error, though, since it would mean reformatting everything again—which would not only be a pain in the ass…but would leave me without some software that my ex-buddy previously hooked me up with.

I don’t know if any of that is at all useful info for this situation, but I figured I better mention it just in case.

If you can help me out with this or confirm whether or not it’s even something I need to be concerned about [besides the obvious inconvenience of the system shutdown] I’d greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

link to image:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...ost&id=1131

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Succor

Succor

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 PM

Posted 28 March 2007 - 04:40 PM

It looks like it could be conflicting hardware. Did you install any new devices on the machine? Do you have any hardware conflict in the device manager?
Theres hope for most, but only patiance for few.

#3 santony

santony

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 28 March 2007 - 04:48 PM

try superantispyware free edition you may have lop

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 PM

Posted 28 March 2007 - 07:06 PM

lop would have been picked up by the HijackThis team member, working his log.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 ericwilmoth

ericwilmoth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2007 - 07:17 PM

the only hardware element was that i had a webcam plugged in that i used before reformatting, but never reinstalled. it always asked me if i wanted to install it on startup and i always canceled it.

Looking at the device manager i saw it listed as a question mark. anywy, i've now unplugged it. Don't know if that had anything to do with my problem.

other than that there hasn't been any new hardware.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2007 - 05:08 AM

afd.sys is the Ancillary Function Driver for WinSock.

I'd suggest trying WinSockFix (free here: http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Network...inSockFix.shtml )

Another thing to try is deleting your local area connection, rebooting, then creating a new one.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 29 March 2007 - 05:19 AM

May I suggest we hold of in giving more fixes until he received his clean bill of health by nvt8. These BSOD may be caused by his infections as per nvt8

#8 ericwilmoth

ericwilmoth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2007 - 12:21 PM

May I suggest we hold of in giving more fixes until he received his clean bill of health by nvt8. These BSOD may be caused by his infections as per nvt8

that's cool by me. Thanks for all the suggestions, at any rate. I guess i'll check back here once my system's given as clean a bill of health as i can get from the hijack this log dept.

Cheers-

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2007 - 03:45 PM

%^*&)Q#)_+*@!!!

I missed that! Thanks for catching it fozzie!

FYI - Working on an infected system before it's cleaned can cause the infection to "morph" into something else - and it will be much more difficult (if not impossible) to effectively clean it!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users