Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Networking Concern Between Two Sytems I'm Trying To Clean Out In The Hijackthis Logs And Analysis Forum

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 ericwilmoth

ericwilmoth

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 AM

Posted 28 March 2007 - 04:11 PM

HióI was advised by htv8 to start a thread here. Heís helping me out with a HijackThis Logs and Analysis and some network issues came up that he said would be better dealt with here. The other thread is http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/85082/trojan-dnete-trojanbankash-haxdoorfam-goldunfam-antivirus-gold-hotwebfinderwinbrume/

I have a network between my main PC and a laptop, running tandem with my wireless internet connection. Since Iím dealing with the HijackThis Logs and Analysis htv8 was instructing me to deal with each computer separately and to make sure I disabled the network to do thisówhich led to two issues.

The first is fairly minor, but still something Iíd like to educate myself on, if you can help meóand the other is a genuine concern.

1) I know how to completely disable the wireless network connection and I was attempting to see how I could simply turn off the network between the computers but leave the wireless internet connection intact. I discovered that I can disable file and printer sharing in the general tab of the wireless connection settings, but
----------a. I donít know if this is sufficient for separating the computers to make sure I clean them both out thoroughly
--------------------i. If it is, then I still have a problem, because my laptop is allowing me to disable the file and printer sharing option, but my PC will not. Incidentally, I noticed that it also wonít display my windows firewall settings [I currently have the Sunbelt firewall active, instead]
--------------------ii. If not, then Iím trying to determine if there is a way to establish a network between the computers that is independent from the wireless internet connection.
----------b. Right now Iím either keeping one computer turned off or completely disabling the connection while I work on one or the other.

2) The second problem is that while I was investigating this I discovered that among my workgroup computers there is a third system listed that should not be there--Iím assuming it's from the haxdoor I have that Iím working out in the other thread. The third system is called Arphaxad and i can't gain access to it or review any significant properties.
----------a. htv8 suggested I

resolve the computer's name to an IP address by using networking commands. Use a computer in your workgroup and nslookup the computer's name (which will use NetBIOS over TCP/IP and/or WINS) to resolve the IP address. When that IP address is resolved, you can ping, traceroute (in Windows: tracert), or discover with packet sniffing when and how it's getting to you.

----------b. I donítí know what 95% of this means, and since he isnít trained in that area thatís when he suggested I come here.

Hopefully you can help me sort all this out. Thanks!

----added during edit:
noodling around i figured out the problem with my windows firewall and reactivated it--which also re-enabled my ability to change the file sharing settings. the other questions still stand. Thanks!

Edited by ericwilmoth, 28 March 2007 - 07:55 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users