Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Comp Doesn't Have Certain Things!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 bleedinglilly

bleedinglilly

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 AM

Posted 28 March 2007 - 03:44 PM

My comp has had a continuos prob for the past 2 years of owning it.. I even sent it to texas to Gateway to be fixed and asked hundreds of people but no one can help me.. I'm at my wits end... I love my comp, but i don't understand a few things..
My comp has never had system restore.. I noticed that right away when I received it.. It's a gateway that I bought new in 2004 and it has windows xp home edition service pack 1.. I sent it to be fixed.. but when i got it back supposedly fixed.. I noticed there was still no system restore.. Its not that it is 'disabled'.. there simply is NO option for system restore when I go into my control panels and system folders.. I looked online to see where the folder or option for it should be if it existed or was disabled and needed to be turned on... there is no system restore... it doesn't exist in my comp.. I tried to run msconfig or msconfig.exe soon after to try to explore things and it says the comp cannot find that path... ?? o.k..... I went into my Help folder an the folder is filled w/ all these yellow question marks... Did something alter my system32 folder or a virus or is soemthing turned off or am i going about this wrong?? I have no disk defrag either.. my automatic updates is turned on.. but it doesn't ever EVER seem to update... I went about my business and just protected my comp w/ firewalls and anti-ware stuff since my comp was so vulnerable it seemed and i couldn't roll back time on it through a restore.. so I was carefull... Whenever my comp got infected w/ something not that significant, it got deleted.. so.. Every once in a while i get spyware.. but nothing major... I went to the microsoft site the other day to update my comp manually since the updater doesn't work.... I need 'xp service pack 2' it seems to run a lot of things.. And to update internet explorer or to update windos media player, it says i need serv. pack 2 to do so... o.k. Fine.. So i went to the ms site to download it... but at the end, it errors and says I cannot finish installing serv. pack 2 and says that.. such and such could not install.... So I ask anyone who is reading this.. what is going on w/ my comp..??!! Its says there are no viruses in it... I go into things as the administrative owner so its not that... my stystem restore isn't just disabled.. there is no system restore at all or any type of update or help for my comp! Anywhere!
Recently, I went deeper into my comp and found folders for those things... but when I click on them.. nothing happens... The folder doesn't open.. can anyone help me or know anyone that can... is there a number i can call? I don't know if I'm under warranty anymore.. :thumbsup: this is upsetting as my comp is getting older and I can't update anything or the service pack or set restore points.. msconfig doesn't even work when I type it in the run box.. ? i need a rep that can go into my comp or something remotely and see what I am talking about.. I dunno..
Help me please!!! ~ sincerely Lace

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 AM

Posted 29 March 2007 - 10:35 AM

Try this:

Open My Computer > Explore or Windows Explorer, go to Tools > Folder Options > View tab and uncheck “Hide extensions for known file types”, press Apply > Ok.

Go to Start > Run and type: %Windir%\INF
Press Enter
Scroll down to sr.inf, right-click on it and choose 'Install'.

You may need to either insert your Win XP CD or know where your i386 folder is located on the hard drive.

*If the 'Files Needed' dialog box appears, click on 'Browse' and point it to the C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386 folder.
*If you have your Win XP CD available, point it to that instead.
Reboot when finished.

If your having problems downloading/installing SP2 from the Internet, then see how to "Order Windows XP Service Pack 2 on CD.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users