Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrade To Media Center

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 TheYoda

TheYoda

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 28 March 2007 - 02:22 PM

I'm running XP Pro SP2 on another computer of mine and it's my entertainment computer, I was wondering if the upgrade to Media Center edition would be worth it. I have a new TV-Tuner card that's compatable with it, WMP11, and other things, I was wondering if the upgrade to Media Center make anything easier for me or better in terms of entertainment.

"A coward dies a thousand times before his death. The valiant never taste of death but once." -William Shakespeare

Fold for your future...Help us find a cure.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Succor

Succor

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 28 March 2007 - 03:57 PM

If it was me I would stick with the Pro. I ran media edition and really don't see nothing Pro can't do.
Theres hope for most, but only patiance for few.

#3 TheYoda

TheYoda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2007 - 04:01 PM

Alright, thanks. I'll stick with what I have :thumbsup:

"A coward dies a thousand times before his death. The valiant never taste of death but once." -William Shakespeare

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,782 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 28 March 2007 - 11:10 PM

Windows XP Media Center Edition is distinguished from other editions of Windows XP by an exclusive preinstalled application, Media Center, which provides a large-font ("10-foot"), remotely accessible interface for TV viewing on the computer as well as recording and playback, DVD playback, video playback, photo viewing, and music playback. The last version also includes a number of other features not included in other editions of Windows XP, such as the Royale (Energy Blue) theme.

Although Windows XP Media Center Edition is based on Windows XP Professional, Microsoft has disabled its ability to join an Active Directory domain post install in the last version. This effectively precludes its use in a corporate environment. Media Center still retains most other Windows XP Professional-specific features, such as Remote Desktop and the Encrypting File System.

Due to strict hardware requirements, Microsoft has opted not to supply Media Center as an independent retail version. Microsoft only distributes it to MSDN subscribers and OEM System Builders in certain countries. Consumers generally purchase Media Center preinstalled on a new computer, or from a reseller that sells OEM versions of Microsoft software.

The preceding quote from here.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2007 - 05:10 AM

There are free programs that can be used in place of Media Center on any PC. One probably came bundled with the TV card. If not, you can probably get it from the manufacturers (of the TV card) web site.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Paul103

Paul103

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 PM

Posted 29 March 2007 - 01:57 PM

Nero has a Media Center Option.
Can you see me now?

#7 TheYoda

TheYoda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2007 - 02:33 PM

Animal - Than I'm deffinatley sticking to XP Pro because I have all my computers networked and it is in a corprate environment...sort of.
usasma - Yeah, that's what I'm using.
10344 - What do you mean?

Edited by TheYoda, 29 March 2007 - 02:35 PM.

#8 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2007 - 02:56 PM

If you need to connect to a domain controller you definitely want to stick with XP Pro. If not, MCE has most all of the features that Pro does aside from domain membership, it has media center as well as a better looking skin. Not a bad way to go.
Posted Image

#9 Paul103

Paul103

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2007 - 02:57 PM

Animal - Than I'm deffinatley sticking to XP Pro because I have all my computers networked and it is in a corprate environment...sort of.

Nero 7 ultra edition has a program called "Nero Home" which has the basic functions that media center has.
Can you see me now?

#10 TheYoda

TheYoda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2007 - 11:12 PM

Nero 7 ultra edition has a program called "Nero Home" which has the basic functions that media center has.

Oh, ok, wasn't sure what you meant :thumbsup:

#11 Yunalesca

Yunalesca

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2007 - 11:43 PM

Stick with what you have... media center is horrid!

#12 TheYoda

TheYoda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2007 - 09:46 AM

I'll take your word for it, lol.

#13 Jesse Bassett

Jesse Bassett

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2007 - 07:09 PM

Stick with what you have... media center is horrid!

Why do you say that?
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 l McAfee Total Protection l Super AntiSpyware Free Edition l AdAware SE Personal l Spyware Blaster l Spyware Guard l Safe Eyes 2007

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users