Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Format Laptop Hdd

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 TheYoda

TheYoda

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 28 March 2007 - 12:18 PM

I'm reinstalling my OS on my laptop and i just upgraded the RAM on it so it'll work with XP. I tried installing 2000 first so I would have an NTSF file system and install drivers and whatnot before XP came in the mail. It only gave me one option and that was to format in NTSF (no quick format option available). I tried this and it didn't get past 0%. I took the harddrive out of of the laptop and put it on my desktop (via adapter) and I tried to format it under windows but the progress bar wouldn't move and if i tried a quick format, after about 4 seconds I got an error message that said that windows could not finish formatting the drive. This drive worked fine before, no problems at all. I tried diagnostic tools, but they didn't work because there are too many harddrives on my desktop and its seen as a clone of another drive. (meaning one harddrive is listed twice). The harddrive is a Seagate Momentus 5200.2 (60GB) pulled from a hewlett-packard laptop. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: It was pulled form a hewlett-packard but is currently residing in a dell latitude CPi A

UPDATE: When I put in the XP cd and it says "press any key to boot from CD..." and press any key and the cursor still blinks, but the HDD light stays solid and nothing happens. Than after about a minute, the screen just goes blank.

Edited by TheYoda, 28 March 2007 - 12:28 PM.

"A coward dies a thousand times before his death. The valiant never taste of death but once." -William Shakespeare

Fold for your future...Help us find a cure.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Succor

Succor

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 28 March 2007 - 01:15 PM

Have you tried a boot diagnostic tool like Micro Scope? Have you ran chkdsk to look for bad sectors on the drive?
Theres hope for most, but only patiance for few.

#3 TheYoda

TheYoda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2007 - 01:33 PM

Where can I find microscope, and if i try to run Chkdsk in windows, i click start and the window just closes and I'm not sure how to do it in DOS, but it probably does have some bad sectors.

"A coward dies a thousand times before his death. The valiant never taste of death but once." -William Shakespeare

#4 Succor

Succor

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2007 - 01:59 PM

I'm not sure how to do it in DOS

You need to run chkdsk in dos. Do you have a boot disk?

Can you boot into the recovery console? Press F10 or F12 on boot up and boot into recovery console, type chkdsk /f in the command prompt.

Micro Scope can be bought online. Theres other products you can use I will have to look around and find one. Unless some else post a good one.

When you hook it into your desktop its not showing up as its own drive?

#5 TheYoda

TheYoda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2007 - 02:07 PM

In My computer on the desktop, it comes up as drive E: (which it should) but the icon occasionally switches back from harddrive to CD drive and if theres an application where I have to choose a drive, it comes up with the properties of another drive. So one drive shows up twice but one is the laptop HD. I'm going to try taking out one of the harddrives so theres less, I'll get back with the results.

#6 TheYoda

TheYoda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2007 - 02:17 PM

I cannot run chkdsk because the Harddrive's file format is RAW and chkdsk doesn't work with RAW disks and I can't format it to make it not-RAW. Is there anyway I can format this drive or is it shot?

#7 Succor

Succor

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2007 - 02:31 PM

If you can get it to show up as its own drive on the desktop go to:

--control panel \ performances & maintenance \ administrative tools \

click on computer manager \ under storage drop down select disk management

Find the drive & right click it and see if you can format it. If that don't work and its got a partition delete it and try again.

If that doesn't work your going to need to find a diagnostic tool that boots up and can check the drive for errors, bad sectors and all.

Give that a try being a raw partition you can't run chkdsk your right. Hope this helps

#8 Succor

Succor

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2007 - 02:44 PM

Download these boot tools from seagate. See if this works:

diskwizard or seatool

http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?loca...000dd04090aRCRD

#9 TheYoda

TheYoda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2007 - 03:50 PM

I tried those, for some reason my computer won't boot the floppy or the CD.

#10 Succor

Succor

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2007 - 03:53 PM

What is your boot order set to in the BIO's?

if your HD is set to boot first then it will by pass the floppy and cd drive.

#11 TheYoda

TheYoda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2007 - 04:03 PM

Theres a problem with the SeaTools itself, It loads FreeDOS than asks me if i want to trace or skip "Autoexce.bat" or something like that and i dont click anything and it goes a little, than stops. And it just doesn't recognize the CD. (my boot order is CD, Floppy, HDD)

#12 Succor

Succor

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2007 - 04:12 PM

:thumbsup: Let me think about this. Will figure it out :flowers:

#13 TheYoda

TheYoda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2007 - 04:24 PM

................why don't I just run the tools on the laptop not the desktop. I'll try that with the CD and the floppy and see what happens.

#14 Succor

Succor

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2007 - 04:27 PM

I'm sorry I thought thats what you did. You do need to put the HD back in the laptop and run the tools. That why thats the only drive it sees. Sorry

#15 TheYoda

TheYoda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2007 - 05:54 PM

I tried the SeaTools and it loaded up fine, I saw it real fast and it said drive D (the harddrive) wasn't formatted, than when it finally came to the main screen and was searching for drives, it said no hard drive was found and the hard drive light was solid but I heard no activity from the Harddrive. I think (unfortunately) this harddrives met it's match :thumbsup:
Unless theres something else you can suggest, I'm beat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users