Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

General Protection Fault Error Message

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 fay1

fay1

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 28 March 2007 - 10:29 AM

Hello, to each and everyone :trumpet: . I am having a problem with my windows xp home edition system. For about a week the computer kept restarting and shutting off by itself. So as a last resort. I attempted to reinstall xp home edition. while i was installing the program, I kept being prompted to skip this or that file because the file was corrupt. Once, I skipped what seemed like millions of file, that I know took 4 hours. The system went to the Windows setup screen, then the next screen appeared was the "General Protection Fault" message. At this point as soon as I turn the system on, the message pops up in less than 5 seconds and nothing on the keyboard works, nor can I do anything else. The computer will not read any disc of any kind. Nothing works. Sometimes the screen may say "EXCEPTIONS" with the same list of error lingo underneath. Is there anyone that can help me get my computer working again. :flowers: I need help. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 twardnw

twardnw

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 PM

Posted 28 March 2007 - 02:56 PM

If you can get any of the specific error codes it will help greatly, generally they are in the form of 0x--------, using numbers 0-9 and letters a-f

#3 ComputerWhizz7

ComputerWhizz7

• Members
  • 408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 28 March 2007 - 03:07 PM

I agree with twardnw we need to know the error codes. Or if you are not sure, format your hard-drive and re-install windows that way.
I came, I saw, I conquered. - Julius Caeser

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 29 March 2007 - 05:00 AM

If you were prompted to "skip" the files because they were corrupt - then it's likely that your installation CD is damaged (and this is the cause of the problem). I'd suggest cleaning the CD or maybe using a CD repair kit to see if you can salvage it.

If that doesn't work, then I'd suggest either borrowing an identical disk from someone - or purchasing a new disk.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users