Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Automatic Log Off Every 60 Secs

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Heath

Heath

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 28 March 2007 - 09:37 AM

Hi. I'm a newbie with Windows Vista and cannot figure out how to stop Windows Vista from Logging me out every 60 seconds. I'm coming from Windows 2000 where I can change the settings for the displays easy enough.. But unfortunately, I'm not too savy on this new Windows Vista stuff. I've found where to change to power settings..but that isn't the problem..The display is not asleep..it just logs me off.
I know it's something simple (feel kinda dumb to ask)..but it's driving me crazy and I can't seem to find the problem.
I bought the new computer at Sam's ....it was the last demo and they left the "Sam's Club" screensaver up..can't change that either...I thought I found out how..but then, as I'm logged in as the "owner" it tells me I can't change the settings unless I am the system administrator....I thought the Owner WAS the systme administrator?
Can anybody help me? Thanks in advance.

:huh:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2007 - 06:41 PM

If it's anything like the Microsoft kiosk or the BestBuy kiosk, then it would probably be advisable to restore the computer to it's factory state using the restore disks.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Heath

Heath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2007 - 06:14 AM

Thanks.. So there is no way around this or no way to set security options differently? What a bummer.. I just finished putting all my "stuff" on this thing. :huh:
Oh boy..
Thanks for your advice.
Heath :huh:

#4 Guest_uhaligani_*

Guest_uhaligani_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 29 March 2007 - 07:27 AM

Try this:
In the RUN menu type Control UserPasswords2 and enter
Go to advanced and advanced again. Then Users and then Administrator.
Untick the box which says Administartor account disabled.
Now log off and you will probably be able to logon as the Administrator. You will then be able to alter your screensaver settings, which is the cause of the problem.

#5 Heath

Heath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2007 - 03:59 PM

Thank you for all your help guys...I ended up calling HP and was on the phone for 3 hours...finally re-set to factory settings (losing all I put on)..but I know in a month..I'll get over it :huh:
Thanks again! I have much to learn...What happened is that I ended up getting a computer that was the floor model..and they erased a few settings so nobody could change anything..which is why I couldn't figure out the deal. I just figured it was Windows Vista's new way of doing things..(keeping me guessing). I should have just reset the thing as soon as I got home. Live and learn!
Heath

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users