Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft App Aims To Attack Spyware

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 10 January 2005 - 05:32 AM

Microsoft App Aims To Attack Spyware. Vendor plans release of virus- and worm-cleaning tool, as wellBy George V. Hulme InformationWeek Jan. 10, 2005 Spyware will be one of the top security threats business-technology professionals face this year. Last week, Microsoft joined a number of vendors jumping into the anti-spyware market with the beta release of its Windows AntiSpyware application. Microsoft estimates that one-third of PC crashes can be attributed to spyware infections, says Amy Carroll, director of Microsoft's security business unit. Dell has placed the number of tech support calls attributed to spyware at around 15%. Spyware and adware have become as much, if not more, of a problem than viruses, says Mark Sidden, IT director at textile provider Unifi Inc. "Most of the antivirus applications are fairly mature. That's not true yet with spyware solutions," he says. "The spyware problem caught security vendors off-guard. It'll be a year or more before the tools are probably ready for large businesses.... ...If Microsoft is to succeed at becoming a trusted provider of security software, the company will have to overcome the perception held by many that it's scrambling to fix a problem created by the security flaws in its own software. "They're sending out a program to fix their own programs," says Glenn Wright, senior telecommunications technologist for the Delaware department of technology and information. Says Wright: "You don't want a bug to fix a bug."
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Philip Brampton

Philip Brampton

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 10 January 2005 - 06:49 AM

Koan.
Interesting article.Thanks for bringing it to my attention.
I have never had a problem with Viruses or any other SCUM that is around.
I suspect the reason being is because AVG,ZONE ALARM,ADAWARE,SPYBOT S&D,SPYWARE BLASTER,STINGER are all installed on my machine.
Microsoft Spyware has been downloaded and is being tried.So far it has found 2 something or others.Not serious they say.
Therefore I ask the question;do i need it,probably not.But i was facinated.
Next observation.Microsoft Antivirus is only being updated once a month.Fat lot good that is.It sounds like a scanning tool not a proper Antivirus application.
My next opinion is about SP2,!!!!!!!!!!!!.
It appears to have created more problems than the original application.
You can keep XP i will stay with W2000.
Best Wishes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users