Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Screen Print

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 debw

debw

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 28 March 2007 - 06:29 AM

I have a task to do for college,but I cant understand it. I have to take a screen print of my desktop,open up a new word document type the word before and paste the screenprint into it,then go back to the desktop change the background,I can do that,then return to the document type after paste the new screen print then save it to a jpeg. Can anybody please help me. debw

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 28 March 2007 - 07:05 AM

I think you will find these instructions easy to follow:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43088/how-to-capture-and-edit-a-screen-shot/

Once you have the two files (before, after) finished, you can then open a new Word document, type in the "Before" and cursor down to where you want to put the screen dump you have saved (say in My Pictures) and Insert the graphic. Cursor down from that, type "After" and cursor down a bit, and Insert the second screen dump. Save the document.

If you have any questions, please let us know.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 28 March 2007 - 07:12 AM

I can get the "Before", paste the screenshot, "After", and paste the other screenshot, but i don't see how you would save the resulting document, as a .jpeg, other than taking a screenshot of the document, cropping it, and saving that, as a .jpeg.

Like this:

Posted Image

Edited by tg1911, 28 March 2007 - 07:29 AM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2007 - 09:50 AM

How about this. Let's totally skip the saving in PAINT, since the instructions you posted say nothing about the need to edit the image.

Open Word and minimize it. That will be your container for the screen shots.
Do the BEFORE screen capture. The image goes into clipboard.
Click on the Word document, type BEFORE, enter to go to the next line, now paste by using Ctrl-v.
Hit enter, to go to the next line in Word, type AFTER. Hit enter. Minimize Word. Do the AFTER screenshot to clipboard.
Back to Word, and ctrl-v to paste the image.
Save the file normally, as a Word document. It now has everything you need, all in one place.

If you already have your screen shots saved, you can easily bring them into Word.
Main menu - Insert, Picture, From file.
Navigate to file, click on it to insert the picture.
Repeat for the second one.
Save as Word document.

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2007 - 10:12 AM

That's exactly what I did, tos226.

Let's totally skip the saving in PAINT

That's hard to do, unless you know of another way to do it. (I used Irfanview :thumbsup:)
Read the last line of the original post.

....then save it to a jpeg.

Edited by tg1911, 28 March 2007 - 10:15 AM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

#6 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2007 - 01:28 PM

I may be misunderstanding the question, and tried to save a step.
Isn't infranview some sort of screen capture?
I don't use things like that, so not familiar with it.
Normally to do a screen capture I just hit the PrintScrn button for the entire screen, Alt-PrntScrn for the active window. It goes into clipboard, then ctrl-v pastes into a document.

If you have to save jpg then ctrl-v in Paint will paste it in.
Are we talking about the same thing? :thumbsup:

The PrtScrn, Alt-Prt screen on laptops are different - I think on my laptop at hole it's Fn-PrtScrn and Alt-Fn-PrtScrn.

Edited:Oh, I think I see. Ok, so the point is to show at the end that both pics went to word. And save that as jpg. Right? If so, Alt-PrtScrn active window into Paint and save as jpg. Are we now on the same page?

Edited by tos226, 28 March 2007 - 01:31 PM.

#7 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2007 - 06:20 PM

Isn't infranview some sort of screen capture?

Image editing program.
IrfanView

Edited:Oh, I think I see. Ok, so the point is to show at the end that both pics went to word. And save that as jpg. Right? If so, Alt-PrtScrn active window into Paint and save as jpg. Are we now on the same page?

Correct.
I just cropped the image to remove the Word toolbars, etc.
Of course, to prove it was done in Word, you might not want to crop it. :thumbsup:

#8 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2007 - 09:25 PM

I wondered about cropping the evidence of being in Word :flowers:
I also wonder about the purpose and usefulness of this sort of exercise for future life-after-college in the real world :thumbsup: but that's besides the point here, I suppose.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users