Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can Not Switch Users In Xp

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Billermo

Billermo

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 28 March 2007 - 01:56 AM

This happened some time in the past month. One laptop being shared by 2 people -- normally after booting up a screen appears with a choice between two user profiles to load -- which would take you to one desktop or another.

Sometime in the past month, somehow this screen was eliminated. The choice gets made automatically by Windows now and only one profile will ever load. I've gone into Control Panel: Users and tried to change it, but am blocked from doing so, with a message that says "Client Services for NetWare does not permit User switching" (or words to that effect) with just an OK button.

I have no idea what "Client Services for NetWare" is. No programs of either of those names on the computer. There's no "more info" or any information anywhere about why this is happening, or how to undo it.

The 2nd profile DOES exist in the Users area of control panel, but it can't be selected.

Now it occurred to me that networking may have something to do with this. This is a new Dell Inspiron E1505, and the Dell Network Assistant was turned on. I considered uninstalling it to see if it takes care of this problem. But that's a shot in the dark, really.

It also occurred to me that it might be virus related. Norton shows it as clean though.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 PM

Posted 28 March 2007 - 02:59 AM

Are there any programs from Novell on the PC?

#3 Billermo

Billermo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2007 - 03:53 AM

I don't think so. Nothing purchased and installed by us. I don't think anything by Novell was downloaded and installed.

Very much doubt it.

An HP printer was installed -- could that have done it?

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 28 March 2007 - 09:20 AM

Because of the uncertainty about the NetWare components on your system, try this method to see if you can connect.

Go to Start...Control Panel (using Classic View)...Network Connections.

Then right click on your Local Area Connection and select "Properties"

In the next window you'll see a list of the items that the connection uses. One of them should be the "Client Services for NetWare"

There also should be one that says "Client for Microsoft Networks". If it isn't there, click on Install and then click on "Client" - this should bring up the dialog to install the "Client for Microsoft Networks". Let it install.

Reboot to see if that fixes it. If it doesn't fix it, there's other stuff that we can try - just let us know.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Billermo

Billermo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2007 - 08:52 AM

OK I did what you suggested. I also poked around more in Users and tried something there.

But first, I went where you suggested and saw that both Netware and Microsoft Networking are both installed and CHECKED. I tried to UNCHECK Netware and clicked ok to see what that would do. I still don't know what Netware IS, by the way. Do you know? Is there any way to find out? You see I'm not sure if I can turn it off (or uninstall it) because I'm not sure whether it's necessary for something.

Anyway I did uncheck it and then rebooted. When I went back into Networking, the uncheck of Netware did not stick-- it was automatically rechecked. Only option now is to uninstall it if I want to get rid of it. I hesitate to do that not knowing what its function is.

I also uninstalled the Dell Network Assistant, by the way. That had no effect on this problem.

Now in Users, I noticed that both the two user profiles were Administrator. It occurred to me that changing one of them to Limited User might do something, that it couldn't hurt to try. So I did. Immediately I tried to switch users by logging off the current user. That worked. Up came a sign in box with option to shut down or log back in. I typed the 2nd user's name over the 1st's and clicked OK to log in. It logged in and the 2nd profile came up (different desktop). It occurs to me only now that this probably was possible before even without changing the 2nd user to Limited, it just didn't occur to me to try to type the 2nd user's name in where the 1st user's was.

But this is not an ideal fix. We wanted to have the intro blue screen that has buttons for both users, one click, no typing necessary. That screen seems to still be blocked (I think it's what they call Fast User Switching).

Edited by Billermo, 29 March 2007 - 09:06 AM.

#6 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 PM

Posted 29 March 2007 - 02:14 PM

To re-enable the "Welcome Screen", go to the User Accounts contro panel applet (where you changed the user from admin to limited.) There should be a link to "Change the way users log on or off" under the "Pick a task..." heading. Click that and make sure "Use the Welcome Screen" and "Use Fast User Switching" are both checked. Click "Apply Options" and you're done!

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 29 March 2007 - 04:27 PM

Fast User Switching is the ability to switch between users without logging off (the inactive profile is still there taking up memory and resources). It's not (IMO) a good tool to use.

The Welcome Screen, on the other hand, is needed to choose which account to logon to. If Fast User Switching isn't available, you'll just logoff the one user to logon the other user (and it uses a lot less resources).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 Billermo

Billermo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2007 - 11:23 PM

Maybe I didn't explain it well enough in my first post. I know I neglected to mention the exact phrase Fast User Switching there, and that may be the reason for the confusion.

The main problem is that this Client Services for NetWare will not allow Fast User Switching. I mentioned that in my first post, but there I referred to it as User Switching instead of Fast User Switching. I already knew that I was blocked from using Fast User Switching by this Client Services for NetWare -- I kept getting a message telling me that when I tried to select it. That was the reason I wanted to find out what NetWare is and if I really do need it or not. Apparently I didn't have it before, since Fast User Switching was working already, and then at some point it stopped working apparently due to this mysterious NetWare.

So my problem at this point is identifying what NetWare is, why it is installed, what it is actually doing and whether it's needed or not. If I knew it was something I don't need, I would uninstall it and that would probably fix this problem.

Is there some way to find out what NetWare is and what its function is?

Edited by Billermo, 30 March 2007 - 01:50 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users