Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Drivers Missing

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 blazebaer

blazebaer

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 27 March 2007 - 08:58 PM

i recently had to reformat my hard drive the windows XP home edition set up discs. Then i reinstalled windows XP, now when i turn on my computer, it wont leave 16-bit memory resolution, no icons are on the desktop, and i dont have any drivers. I cant connect to the internet, because im guessing it cant tell theres a connection, because i dont have that driver.. i used the drivers and utilities discs to try to install them, but still doesnt work.
Under Device Manager List, there are big yellow question marks and exclamation points under a cattagory Other devices. The ones with the icons are: Dell A920, Ethernet Controller, Multimedia Audio Controller, PCI Simple Communications Controller, SM Bus Controller, Video Controller (VGA Compatible)

Can anybody help

Edited by blazebaer, 27 March 2007 - 09:04 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 zbd

zbd

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2007 - 10:54 PM

This might give you a start.

http://www.cyberwalker.net/faqs/how-tos/up...rivers-faq.html

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 28 March 2007 - 12:27 AM

What is the model and make of your computer? Are you using the CD that came with the computer or a full version of XP? Which version of XP?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 28 March 2007 - 01:00 AM

You need to install your motherboard drivers.
MCP
MSDST

#5 Succor

Succor

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2007 - 01:56 AM

Every Dell I had to format have left the drivers uninstalled. Do you have the disk that came with the computer. Dell sometimes sends a driver disk or a recovery disk with the PC.

If so your going to want to explore the disk to locate the drivers for these devices (right click CD drive, click on search) this will get you to the files on the drive, all you need to do now is locate the drivers. Once you find them go to device manager and reinstall the drivers, chose a location and browse to the location on the disc. (D:\).

If you don't have these disc your going to have to download them on line, try here:

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/...;l=en&s=dhs

Type in your service tag, it will give you the drives for that machine. Then go through the list and find the downloads you need.
Theres hope for most, but only patiance for few.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2007 - 09:09 AM

Your system would likely have come with a CD that contained the drivers on it. If you don't have that CD, then you'll have to use another computer to access the website of the manufacturer in order to download the driver. Then copy it to a CD, put the CD in the computer without the drivers, and then run the installer.

It may be easier just to download the Ethernet/Modem driver (see below) and install it. Then you should be able to connect with that computer and download the rest straight to it.

If you connect to the web via Cable or DSL - then I'd download the Ethernet Controller first.

If you connect to the web with a telephone cable (modem), then I'd download the Modem drivers first.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 blazebaer

blazebaer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2007 - 01:18 PM

where is a site that i can find my ethernet controller at? its a dell dimension 2400

#8 Succor

Succor

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2007 - 01:27 PM

Try here:

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/...tid=&impid=

What is the number on the back of the case? It will be 7 numbers and letters and have bar codes on the top and bottom. (Example:W1HH34R) This wll get the drives for that machine. The path above will get you all the drivers for all 2400 shipped out.

#9 blazebaer

blazebaer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2007 - 01:31 PM

i used that site you gave me earlier and put my service tag in... downloaded my video drivers and all, but i dont know which one would be for the ethernet controller... my service tag is CM6SB51

#10 Succor

Succor

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2007 - 01:46 PM

Try here:

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/...mp;fileid=84196

And if not here:

http://search.dell.com/results.aspx?stag=C...cs=&snpsd=A

Dells is a pain with there Ethernet controllers. Finding the right one is the ttrick. device manager just says Ethernet Controller right? See if those drivers work let me know if not.

#11 Baloo

Baloo

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 28 March 2007 - 01:46 PM

Try the Broadcom 4401 Integrated NIC Driver. It is a 5MB download.
When life hands you lemons squeeze the lemon juice right in his eye!

#12 blazebaer

blazebaer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2007 - 02:22 PM

got it man.... i somehow found my resource cd, then went and found the broadcom 10/100 thing... so my internet works now... and im guessin ill just run windows update to make sure its all good? and thanks alot by the way

#13 Succor

Succor

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2007 - 02:34 PM

Right on. Enjoy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users