Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Tracking Cookies Ugh!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 mallym12

mallym12

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 27 March 2007 - 08:54 PM

Hey Guys. I just have some questions about tracking cookies.
I have to scan my computer at least once a week cuz it always finds a bunch of tracking cookies. Its obvious that they are there cuz I'll type something and bunch of ads will show up relating to what i typed or visited. Its annoying. I've scanned for spyware although I'm not sure if I did a signicant job. I've posted hijack logs and so far no ones found any malware...so i don't know. But these tracking cookies just bother me. Can anyone tell me a bit about them and what I can do to stop so many from getting onto my computer.
I've already set my privacy level to medium high but it doesn't seem to stop these third party cookies.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 27 March 2007 - 10:51 PM

Have you read Cookies - A Complete Guide?
Which browser are you using?
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#3 mallym12

mallym12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2007 - 02:57 PM

I just use Internet Explorer.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 PM

Posted 28 March 2007 - 03:07 PM

Quote: http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/cookies.htm
Editors Note: I have yet to find a site where 3rd party cookies are required to be able to access the desired site. "Tracking Cookies" as those listed in Ad-Aware and SpyBot can be effectively blocked by blocking all Third-party Cookies and I would also recommend adding those servers to the "Restricted Zone".

I would follow his suggestion for setting cookie control with one exception---set first party to prompt or allow or you will be constantly looking up the cookie you blocked but need.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 mallym12

mallym12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2007 - 08:42 PM

Okay Thanks, I customized my privacy settings to block third party cookies. thanks :thumbsup:

#6 mallym12

mallym12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2007 - 02:00 PM

OKAY...so even with blocking all third party cookies I still am finding at least 30 tracking cookies each time i scan. It didn't really work did it.

#7 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2007 - 04:51 PM

Have you considered using Firefox?
It gives you a lot more control over cookies, and pop-ups.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,516 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2007 - 06:10 PM

Uh, it works for me and anyone else that sets their options correctly. Of course, the first time you scan after changing the settings to block third party cookies, you will still see the ones that were on your computer before you blocked the third party cookies.
Sites you visit will set first party cookies (not just one cookie either--some will set a dozen or more) unless you block or make them ask to be allowed to set a first party cookie. First party cookies generally have the name of the site you are visiting.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#9 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 AM

Posted 01 April 2007 - 06:51 AM

I don't mean to jump into someone elses thread, but how do you do the Block/Prompt for 1st Party, Block 3rd Party in Firefox the same as mentioned above for IE7.

I only use IE7 for updates. I use Firefox all the time for internet etc but find that I get the same cookies time and time again as mentioned by the original poster. I have followed the advice given fir IE7 but would like to do the same for Firefox.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#10 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,516 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2007 - 08:42 AM

Explains how to edit Firefox to block ALL third party cookies
http://www.bobulous.org.uk/misc/third-party-cookies.html

One extension for cookie handling. I haven't used any of them. I am still using l.5 though I will probably have to install 2.0 later this month as the last I read 1.5 support is ending.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/44

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users