Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avoid Problems

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ussr1943

ussr1943

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 27 March 2007 - 07:39 PM

i just finished rebuilding an old comp that was dissassembled, i think i have everything that i need hooked up correctly but im not sure, and i dont want to cause a fire or anything that could endager my house or family if i start it up and its not correctly hooked up.

i know is correctly hooked up
256 Ram hooked up into mobo
cpu/cpu fan ect all hooked up (left on from deconstruction)
i left all the MA SL stuff on the back of my CD drive and HDD same as factory preset
(i have integrated GFX in this comp so no need to worry about that)

i dont know if correct but heres what i have
CD drive hooked to HDD and hooked into primary IDE Controller via grey ribon cable
and the power connected to HHd, and also the CD drive
and as far as i can tell my CD drive is hooked up to audio

i havent forced anything and everything seem to fit together smoothly, now im woundering if for some ungodly reason, if a wire isnt hooked up correctly what exactly could happen? fry the mobo/& or HDD? or comp light on fire? anyone know of a way to fully know everything is hooked up fine?
"Ideas are far more powerful than guns."
"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards -- and even then I have my doubts." --Eugene H. Spafford
"One man's terrorist is another's freedom fighter"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheYoda

TheYoda

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 27 March 2007 - 10:39 PM

If everything fits ok, and nothing was forced in, you should be all good. Worse case senario, something somewhere gets shorted out and your power supply goes. Unless its doused in kerosene, your computer won't explode into a giant fireball, so theres no worry there.

Note: Just make sure none of the cables are frayed anywhere and make sure the motherboard isnt touching the case except by the screws.

Edited by TheYoda, 27 March 2007 - 10:40 PM.

"A coward dies a thousand times before his death. The valiant never taste of death but once." -William Shakespeare

Fold for your future...Help us find a cure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users