Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Chkdsk Does Not Scan, It Always Cancel. Please Help Me Out

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 jaye31987

jaye31987

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 27 March 2007 - 04:03 PM

Hello,

Current Problem:
Im having a problem that I fear might get bad in time since I cannot use CHKDSK to fix my errors when my PC Crashes/get corrupted files.

Every time I try to do this - My computer> Properties> Tool> Check now > check both of them then restart PC...The scan say cancel without me wanting to. Normally when my PC crashes it does the scan before login but it gets cancel as well.

I search online for research on how to fix it but did not find a solution :/.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Im not sure if this is needed but these were problems that I was having as well but manage to fix it except the CHKDSK.

Problems I had:

Corrupted files (Fixed by reinstalling XP w/o losing the progams)

Recycle bin would still be fill even when there is nothing inside (Fixed by reinstalling XP w/o losing the progams)

Diskeeper would not work and would give me this msg if try to Defrag
"Diskeeper has detected that CHKDSK is scheduled to run on the volume {C:}. This is due to either a user request or because the operating system has found errors in the file system. CHKDSK will run automatically during the next system reboot. Until CHKDSK is run Diskeeper cannot defragment this volume."

(After reinstalling windows, diskeeper now looks exactly like the XP version of the defragment program, im guessing it got erase during the process; I still have the program but it takes me the the XP version of the defragment)

CHKDSK always cancel by itself (Still have the problem) :/
(I read in forum that by going to Run > Regedit > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>SYSTEM>CURRENT CONTROL SET>CONTROL> SESSION MANAGER to locate the "BootExecute" file to change it to PDBoot.exe
autocheck autochk f * it will fix CHKDSK but it did not work for me, I never change it back becuase I do not know how it was before)

===========================================

Please help me out, I am out of ideas on how to fix CHKDSK :/

Edited by jaye31987, 27 March 2007 - 04:05 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2007 - 06:20 PM

Diskeeper problem: chkdsk scheduled...., Will not run until chkdsk has

How to make checkdisk (chkdsk) to run on boot:

**Please note, every time I say to reboot, that means you must SHUT DOWN your computer and wait about 10 seconds before booting it up again.
A restart will move the changes from session to session.**

The following steps must be performed to remove the dirty bit, and to enable chkdsk to access the drive:

1. Set your Diskeeper program to run a boot check -- Check every single value except for the a: drive, and set it for drive C:

2. Click the Start button on your taskbar, click RUN, and type in CMD. type in the command: "sfc /scanonce" without the quotes, and press enter

3. Go to My Computer, right click Drive C, and go to Properties. Click the Tools Tab and click Check Now. Select both checkboxes and set it. It will prompt you to run it at boot, say Yes.

4. Shut Down your computer, and then boot it back up again. -- **again, do not select RESET, but instead select Shut Down

5. Once the computer boots up, the chkdsk will Fail, then diskeeper will fail, then diskeeper will fail again. This is perfectly normal.

6. When the computer gets to the login page, please Log In. You will notice a scan for disk changes taking place. When it prompts you for the Windows boot disk, just say Cancel. After a couple Cancel's / No's, please click on the Cancel button of the scan. It will say something like are you sure, just say yes, and all the prompts will dissappear.

7. Open up Diskeeper once more and CLEAR all boot-scans on the problem volume.

8. Right click on your Drive C: and again click on Properties, click Tools tab and click clean now. Now this time only select the bottomcheckbox and scan the drive. This scan will start now, and will take about 15 minutes to run.

9. Once the scan has completed, go to your taskbar, click START, click RUN, and type CMD. Now please type in "fsutil dirty query c:" without the quotes and hit ENTER. It should say that Volume C: is dirty.

10. Now in the same window, please type "chkdsk /i" without the quotes, and hit ENTER. This scan will take about 10 minutes.

11. Once that scan has completed, please type "chkdsk /r" without the quotes, and hit ENTER.

12. Please shut down your computer.

13. Boot up your computer.

14. The chkdsk utility will run (5 layer scan, which takes about 1.5 hours), and the dirty bit will be removed.

15. You can now run disk defragmentor / diskeeper again.

16. If this guide did not work, please start again from step 1, as some instances require you to do the process twice.

I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#3 jaye31987

jaye31987
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2007 - 06:29 PM

Thank you for the reply, I actually try that and did not succeed. I would try again to see if it works but since now not having Diskeeper install and not able to find the disc, I am not able to do it. Any idea? I have perfect disc.

#4 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2007 - 06:42 PM

You did all that in 9 minutes? It isn't necessary for Diskkepper to still be installled. The directions should even work with any defrag program including Windows.

Get Your Donor Card

#5 jaye31987

jaye31987
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2007 - 06:48 PM

Sorry I meant to say was that I tried that yesterday and did not succeed but I will give it another go and give you another update, thank you for replying

#6 jaye31987

jaye31987
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2007 - 06:32 PM

Before I say anything on what I did, I reinstall Diskeeper.
=======
I follow the directions you given me exactly as you said and everything that should happen by the directions did happen including when I type "fsutil dirty query c:" without the quotes and hit ENTER. It said that the Volume C: is dirty.

Now I try to do step 10
"10. Now in the same window, please type "chkdsk /i" without the quotes, and hit ENTER. This scan will take about 10 minutes."

The msg said
"The type of the file system is FAT32.
The /I option functions only on NTFS volumes".... So I converted it.

I tried to do the direction you given me from step 1 again and had problems on step 8. "Right click on your Drive C: and again click on Properties, click Tools tab and click clean now. Now this time only select the bottomcheckbox and scan the drive. This scan will start now, and will take about 15 minutes to run."

So I use the windows recovery tool by going to run and typing "d:\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons" then installing it..... I did a chkdsk /r run until it reported no errors.
====

I check to see if the defragment works and now it does :thumbsup:, I check if Chkdsk works and it STILL cancels :/....So again I try to do your directions again.

This time I was able to do everything but when I got to this point

"9. Once the scan has completed, go to your taskbar, click START, click RUN, and type CMD. Now please type in "fsutil dirty query c:" without the quotes and hit ENTER. It should say that Volume C: is dirty. "

This time is said its NOT dirty. I still continue on with your directions.

I do next step "10. Now in the same window, please type "chkdsk /i" without the quotes, and hit ENTER. This scan will take about 10 minutes."

The scan this time actually complete all 3 stages but it only took like 2 mins... I dont know if thats good or not.

After that scan was done this is what it said
Security descriptor verification completed.
CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the volume bitmap.
Windows found problems with the file system.
Run CHKDSK with the /F (fix) option to correct these.

39078080 KB total disk space.
21079140 KB in 74349 files.
0 KB in bad sectors.
149292 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
17813096 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
9769520 total allocation units on disk.
4453274 allocation units available on disk.

At this point it say to do a /f but in your directions is say to do a /r. So I decided to do yours.... This msg appear

The type of file system is NTFS.
Cannot lock current drive.

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another
process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked
the next time the system restarts?<Y/N>

I press Y and rebooted like it said in the directions....Hoping that the scan will happen and it did not :/.

I try the /f and still no scan..... I have no idea what to do :/

#7 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2007 - 08:13 PM

Run chkdsk /f from the Recovery console.

Get Your Donor Card

#8 jaye31987

jaye31987
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2007 - 08:32 PM

Ok, I will reply asap

#9 jaye31987

jaye31987
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2007 - 09:13 PM

I went into the recovering console and type exactly what you told me
"chkdsk /f" and this msg appear

"The parameteer is not a valid. Try /? for help"

So I type "chkdsk" and this is what it said

"The volume appear to be in good condition and was not checked. Use /p to check volume."

So I did "chkdsk /p" and this is what it said

"CHKDSK found one or more errors on the volume"

After that the same thing appear again to type "C:WINDOWS/" since I dont know what to do I left and now here.

#10 jaye31987

jaye31987
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2007 - 08:51 PM

Anyone with any ideas? :/ Could it be that my hard drive is mess up?

#11 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2007 - 09:03 PM

Did you try chkdsk /r from the Recovery Console? You also may want to try chkdsk /f /r Make sure that there is a space between chkdsk and the /f (and another space between the /f and the /r)

Also, try chkdsk /? to see what the options are.

Edited by usasma, 01 April 2007 - 09:03 PM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#12 jitaa

jitaa

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2007 - 01:55 AM

Jaye, Just a Suggestion. Lets do a deep scan of your Hard drive
As USAMA posted make sure you place a space where there is one.

When your PC shuts down without warning or it has to be shutdown because of problems you may find, that on rebooting, the AUTOCHK application will start up and check your disk for errors. This can be tiresome, particularly if it occurs every time you boot your machine. To disable this feature do the following

1/ Click the Start Button

2/ From the Start menu click Run

3/ In the Run dialogue box type: cmd

4/ The command prompt window will now open

5/ In the command prompt window type: fsutil dirty query c:
(If you have a dual boot system then replace the C: drive letter with the relevant drive letter you have been having problems with)

6/ Press Enter

7/The response from the file system utility will probably be that the disk is 'dirty'

8/ Now type: CHKNTFS /X C: into the command prompt windows and press Enter. (If you have a dual boot system then replace the C: drive letter with the relevant drive letter you have been having problems with)

9/ The X parameter, in this case, tells windows not to check the disk in question

10/ Next manually re-boot your pc

11/ You should now find that CHKDSK does not run on the selected drive

12/ Once you have confirmed that CHKDSK does not run and your PC has fully booted click Start>Runa again and type cmd

13/ In the command window now type: chkdsk /f/r c: and press Enter. Again replace the C: (If you have a dual boot system then replace the C: drive letter with the relevant drive letter you have been having problems with)

14/ After the drive has been scanned type: fsutil dirty query c: and press Enter

15/ Windows should now confirm that the 'dirty bit' has been disabled

Post back and let us know how it goes.If you by chance have a Dell then go to this site and run their Program also.

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...;l=en&s=dhs

Thank You Jitaa :thumbsup:

Edited by jitaa, 02 April 2007 - 02:04 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users