Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why Is My Connection So Slow

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 .-=m1k3y=-.

.-=m1k3y=-.

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 27 March 2007 - 02:50 PM

Ok well ive already posted about some problems with my laptop but now im getting worried. My mom has recently set up an Ebay account and my laptop has started to go very slow also when im downloading im getting to a max download speed of 100kbs and my connection is 8mb. :trumpet: . Im just very confused i have a linksys wireless-g ADSL Gateway With Speed Booster Model No WAG54GS Version 1.1 im on a bt phone line and i really dont see why its going this slow. Here is the link to my other thread it got moved to the hijack this thread http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...ry+about+laptop . If you need anymoe information please dont hesitate to ask :inlove:

please try and sort out my problem :thumbsup: :flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 27 March 2007 - 06:30 PM

Just because you have an 8MB connection doesn't mean you will actually get that much speed while downloading. There are many factors which determine your rate such as distance from the CO (DSL service) or amount of users sharing the main line (Cable). Also some sites will download even slower due to limitations on their end.
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2007 - 06:21 AM

I've also experienced a slower connection on my wireless laptop than on my desktop that wired to the router.

That being said, the infection could have damaged your connection - so it's time for a bit of troubleshooting.

First, download this free web browser and install it on your system ( http://www.mozilla.com ). Then open it up and see if your speed is better. If so, then it's likely that IE is the problem. Let us know the results and we can move on from there.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 .-=m1k3y=-.

.-=m1k3y=-.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2007 - 11:06 AM

ok i will download it its taking for ever to download firefox its now going 24kb :thumbsup:

#5 .-=m1k3y=-.

.-=m1k3y=-.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2007 - 11:27 AM

Well ive downloaded firefox nothing has changed it downloaded at the most 50kb it just keeps changing on the same download i really dont know whats happening if you think it might be a virus problem i can post a hijackthis log. Please help as i do alot of downloading :thumbsup:

#6 Adebisi

Adebisi

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2007 - 11:44 AM

Tell us the results of a broadband speed test.

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest?more=1

Also, copy about 1GB of data from one computer to another over your wireless and time how long it takes (not over the internet but over your LAN from computer to computer using wireless).
Cheers,

Adebisi

#7 .-=m1k3y=-.

.-=m1k3y=-.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2007 - 12:30 PM

Ok well here are the results>>> click here for results

It says my download speed is 1851kbs but when im downloading a file also i dont know what you meen by transfering some data from one computer to another please could you post some more information ?

#8 Adebisi

Adebisi

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2007 - 01:09 PM

Well what I mean is, if you have 2 computers, where one is connected via wireless, in your house. Copy 1 GB of data from one computer to the other and see how long it takes.

This would let us see if it is your internal wireless network that is slow, or if your modem or ISP is slow.

Also, what is the signal strength meter saying? Do you have full bars?
Cheers,

Adebisi

#9 .-=m1k3y=-.

.-=m1k3y=-.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2007 - 01:20 PM

Signal stength is excellent full bars and i still dont know what you meen by transfering some data from my laptop to the main comp could u tell me what you want me to do ?

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2007 - 03:57 PM

Somethings definitely wrong here. I'd suggest the HiJackThis log since you can't get anything done. Here's a link to the forum where you should post it (there's instructions at the top of the forum): http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users