Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Redirection To Nasty Sites

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 gra

gra

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 27 March 2007 - 02:41 PM

Attached File  hijackthislog.txt   10.32KB   24 downloadsI appear to have a browser hijack, which I have been unable to detect or fix using AdAware, or Spybot S&D, or the relevant tools from McAfee Security Center.

The problem shows up only when I try to access the link avaxhome.ru. At first, I was being re-directed to a site called ltds.biz, but latterly this has changed to bannerbank.ru. Both these sites are classified as high risk, but are luckily being blocked by McAfee SiteAdvisor.

I have also carried out a HijackThis scan, and I've attach the log for your comments.

Thank you in anticipation.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 miekiemoes

miekiemoes

Malware Killer Dog

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 01 April 2007 - 05:25 PM

Hi,

Please do not attach your logs, but post them in your thread.
I can't see anything suspicious in it, however, I see you have Viewpoint installed...
Viewpoint Manager is considered as foistware instead of malware since it is installed without users approval but doesn't spy or do anything "bad". This will change from what we know in 2006 read this article: http://www.clickz.com/news/article.php/3561546
I suggest you remove the program now. Go to Start > Settings > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs and remove the following programs if present.
  • Viewpoint
  • Viewpoint Manager
  • Viewpoint Media Player
As a sidenote, you have the McAfee security suite installed, including the hackerwatch firewall and then you install a firewall on top: Zonealarm; Keep in mind, having more than one firewall installed causes a lot of problems and are not compatible. So please uninstall Zonealarm and stick with your McAfee security suite.

Your problem is no problem with your computer, but with the site you visit. I get redirected there as well and my system is clean. So please stay away from that site if you want to keep your system clean.
AntispywareScanners---Antivirus Scanners---Firewalls---Online Scanners---Prevention---Help! My computer is slow---My Blog---Follow me on Twitter.
My help is ALWAYS FREE, but if you want to donate to help me continue my fight against malware -- click here!
Asking for help via Private Message or Mail will be ignored - So If you need help, post your problem in the forum.

#3 gra

gra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 03 April 2007 - 02:24 PM

Hello,

and thank you very much for your reply.

When I first got the re-direction problem, I thought that it was a problem with the avaxhome.com site.

A friend of mine then tried to access avaxhome, and found he had no re-direction, so I then
thought I had a browser hijack problem.

The fact that you also experienced re-direction suggests it is indeed a problem with avaxhome.

Thank you also for your comments on Viewpoint and ZoneAlarm. I want to uninstall ZA, but I'm aware
that there are problems. I've found several recommended methods on the Web,
but they are all different, and I'm unsure which one is safest. Do you know of any good ZA uninstall
methods?

Thank you again for your help

#4 miekiemoes

miekiemoes

Malware Killer Dog

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,420 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2007 - 02:33 PM

Yes, I even get unwanted cookies there like Yieldmanager etc.. so I do not recommend that site anyway.

To uninstall Zonealarm, you should uninstall it from Controlpanel > software > add/remove programs.
Then reboot.
In case you're having problems with uninstalling, read next instructions:
http://forums.zonealarm.com/zonelabs/board...;message.id=103
AntispywareScanners---Antivirus Scanners---Firewalls---Online Scanners---Prevention---Help! My computer is slow---My Blog---Follow me on Twitter.
My help is ALWAYS FREE, but if you want to donate to help me continue my fight against malware -- click here!
Asking for help via Private Message or Mail will be ignored - So If you need help, post your problem in the forum.

#5 miekiemoes

miekiemoes

Malware Killer Dog

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,420 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2007 - 05:12 PM

Since this issue appears resolved ... this Topic is closed.
If you need this topic reopened for continuations of existing problems, please request this by sending me a PM with the address of the thread. This applies only to the original topic starter.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users