Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spylocked -vs- Virusblast - Differences In Fixes

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rycherulz

rycherulz

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 27 March 2007 - 12:01 PM

Hi Folks,

Newbie poster here! My buddy infected himself with what appears to be the SpyLocked malware. He's not a computer expert, but can make his away around with a little input here and there.

I did a search based on what he told me last night, and came up with the Virus Burst removal instructions on this site. I downloaded the SmitRem.exe file and the RogueScanFix_setup.exe file, along with the automatic removal instructions, and sent them to him via e-mail in a ZIP file.

I just saw this post, and realize that VirusBurst and SpyLocked appear to be two separate pieces of malware but in the same family.

Will the Virus Burst version of the removal tool, SmitRem.exe, remove the SpyLocked malware, or do I need specifically the SmitFraudFix.exe file from the SpyLocked directions? I'm trying to avoid having to download and print out these instructions, and send them to my buddy, if the Virus Burst instructions work just as well.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rycherulz

rycherulz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2007 - 01:31 PM

Nevermind. VirusBurst fix didn't work.

Ran the SpyLocked fix and worked like a charm. :thumbsup:

I like this site. I've been snooping around, and some good stuff here. Thanks for the help with the fix.

Edited by rycherulz, 27 March 2007 - 01:32 PM.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,112 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2007 - 01:32 PM

Hello rycherulz

If your friend has Spylocked how did you come up with Virus Burst removal instructions? Both are related to smitfraud infections and both tools you mention were created for dealing with them. However, the smitfraudfix tool is frequently updated by the program's author to detect and remove all the latest know variants. Spylocked is one of the latest so I suggest you follow the instructions posted in How to remove SpyLocked and SpywareLocked. If you don't want to print out the instructions, you can always save the page as an html file for reference.

Edit: Seems we posted at the same time. Glad to hear smitfraudfix worked.

Edited by quietman7, 27 March 2007 - 01:35 PM.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users