Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Practicing Removing Spyware In Vmware

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Sometwo

Sometwo

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 27 March 2007 - 08:59 AM

I have VMware setup and I want to practice removing spyware with it, but I can't find spyware or malicious web sites. Is there a current list of malicious web sites out there? Something that is to spyware what PhishTank is to phishing?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 27 March 2007 - 11:16 AM

If you want to become infected:

Disable your Antivirus
Disable your Firewall
Fire up Internet Explorer, and remove all safety features
Browse the Internet, and click any pop-ups you come across.

By the end of the day, you should have more malicious programs on your computer, than you'll know what to do with, though this is not something, I'd recommend. :thumbsup:

The best way to learn how to fight malware, is to join the Hijackthis Team.

Edited by tg1911, 27 March 2007 - 11:16 AM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Sometwo

Sometwo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2007 - 03:16 PM

Thanks, I'll try getting infected that way. Joining the HijackThis Team is an option, but for now I'd like to get some experience removing malware before I risk messing someones computer up.

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2007 - 06:14 PM

Joining the HijackThis Team, or should I say, HijackThis Training Program, will not allow you to work on other peoples computers.
You would have to go through a thorough training process first, which would include working on practice logs.
Once the Coaches feel you are ready, you would be able to work live logs, under supervision.
When you show that you are able to work logs, without supervision, then you will be become a full team member.
This is not, by any means, an easy process, which is the way it should be, as any mistakes you make could render someone's computer inoperable..
It will take time, and dedication, on your part.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

#5 Sometwo

Sometwo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2007 - 07:30 PM

Sounds like it could be a nice hobby. I'll experiment around in VMware and see how that goes before I sign up for the training program though. Thanks for your insight.

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2007 - 08:32 PM

You're welcome, Sometwo.

#7 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 AM

Posted 27 March 2007 - 09:34 PM

Another idea is to download Kazaa that does a pretty good job of loading up your computer...

Man now I feel to start up the old computer in the corner and see how bad I can get infected before I can barely move the mouse then run ad-aware, spybot and all the other hihi that could kill a saturday afternoon...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users