Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cpu Usage At 25% At 'idle'

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Bill S.

Bill S.

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 PM

Posted 27 March 2007 - 04:19 AM

My CPU usage hovers between 25-30% without any programs (except explorer) running.

This is causing my sound, CD playback as well as any other media etc. to skip/stall dramatically. A serious problem for me since this system is my DAW (and only source of income!)

I have done complete scans with AVG, Spybot and Ad-aware. Nothing found by AVG except to note a change in the MBR?, though Spybot and Ad-Aware both discovered and eliminated 'threats'. As suggested in this forum under another thread, I tried unsuccessfully to install Livecare, but it errors out when trying to uninstall dotnet2.0.

The 'Processes' tab under task manager is apparently no help as it shows 'system idle' at 99% at the same time the CPU usage is at 25% under the 'performance' tab.

The CPU usage is a normal ~0-2 percent when I bootup in safe mode with networking.

Words aren't adequate to describe how much any help will be appreciated....

Base System: AMD Athlon64 3200, 2 Gigs RAM, Primary HDD 2 Raptors Raid 0.
[size=2]<~~~>William Shut<~~~>

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 idk

idk

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 27 March 2007 - 04:36 AM

There's a lot of services and programs that are not turned on when you go on safe mode compared to normal mode.
Take a comparison between safe mode's task manager and normal mode's task manager

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 27 March 2007 - 04:52 AM

The first thing I would do in this situation is to run some online anti-malware scans to rule this out as an issue. Check out the Free Online Virus/Trojan/Spyware Scanners section in the following link.

Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 PM

Posted 27 March 2007 - 07:05 AM

It is often difficult to find the cause of the problem you describe, and you seem to have explored the possibility of malware. A useful tool is the Microsoft Process Explorer utility:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysintern...ssExplorer.mspx

This will detail the currently active processes taking up processing on your computer and their originator and its file path. This may give you an indication of what applications are taking up so much CPU. Naturally, if you have further questions or problems, please reply to this thread.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users